Dustin Pedroia grabs a hot dog

Mar 6, 2011, 8:10 AM EDT

Pedroia fist pump

Did I mention that spring training is a bit different than the regular season?  I mean, I thought it was neat that some Dodgers players took a shortcut down the concourse at Tempe Diablo Stadium last weekend.  Turns out that was nothing: Dustin Pedroia went out onto the concourse at City of Palms Park and bought three hot dogs during Saturday’s game:

“I was hungry,” Pedroia said. “The Red Sox have no food.”

When a staffer offered to get him something, Pedroia said: “I don’t need any help. I’m a grown athlete.”

At least he wasn’t in uniform, which probably would have caused a mob scene.

And I’m guessing that the post game clubhouse spread shows up a bit earlier the next time the Red Sox play.

1. yankeesfanlen - Mar 6, 2011 at 8:27 AM

Oh,no Craig- quoting the New York Times will only bring chrisny3 back to debate this breaking news catastrophe. He’ll claim they were REALLY hamburgers.
    Poor Universe lost yeasterday-must have been over the weight limit for early innings pitchers, or maybe a dearth of Cap’n Crunch.

2. jetersusedjersey - Mar 6, 2011 at 8:30 AM

How many hot dogs would have he bought if the he in question was Colon (of the Yankees) instead of bald boy. 7? 8? The year of the fat athlete shall return. LOL. Seriously, do you know who eats more than anyone? Josh Hamilton!

3. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Mar 6, 2011 at 8:45 AM

“I don’t need any help. I’m a grown athlete.”

I would say the ‘grown’ part is up for some debate…

• pisano - Mar 6, 2011 at 10:52 AM

“I’m a grown athlete” he meant If you compare him to dwarfs.

4. thinman61 - Mar 6, 2011 at 9:45 AM

Laser Show. Fueled by Fenway Franks.

5. projectshadow316 - Mar 6, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Just another reason I love Dustin Pedroia. The guy is a riot and just doesn’t give a ****. 10 bucks says one day he brings his own food to the park at some point this season.

• ptho16 - Mar 7, 2011 at 8:48 AM

What’s crazy about bringing your own food to the ballpark? I’m pretty sure players do it all the time.

6. cur68 - Mar 6, 2011 at 11:32 PM

Dustin Pedroia is the honey badger and honey badger don’t care…

Does anyone want to win the NL wild card?
  1. M. Cuddyer (2927)