Mar 6, 2011, 11:15 AM EST
It’s not exactly major news, but Frank Catalanotto has announced his retirement.
When last we heard from him he was being designated for assignment by the Mets to make room for Chris Carter after 25 dismal games last spring. But before that Catalanotto was the kind of player it was hard not to root for. He played everywhere — left, right, first base, second base and third base — he got on base at a really darn healthy clip, hit left handed and was never terribly expensive. Not quite good enough to demand a set place in the lineup 160 games a year but far better than your average platoon or utility guy, Catalanotto was totally the kind of complementary player who could help out a championship team.
Of course he never actually played on a championship team, but that’s neither here nor there. What is here and there was that guys with Catalanotto’s skills are kind of fun to have around, and it’s quite remarkable when they hang in the game for as long as Catalanotto actually did.
Enjoy retirement, Frank!
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 161
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)