Mar 6, 2011, 10:40 AM EDT
I know that (a) Domonic Brown‘s broken hand is troublesome; and (b) spring stats should be given almost zero weight, but it’s probably worth noting that the guy who will likely start in right field for the Phillies — Ben Francisco — hit another home run yesterday and is now batting .421/.476/.947 in seven spring training games.
I mean, no, it wouldn’t make me happy if I was Charlie Manuel and I had to pencil Francisco in for 150+ games this year — and Brown certainly has the potential to be a fine ballplayer one day — but Brown didn’t do anything in his brief callup last season, didn’t do anything in winter ball and was atrocious this spring prior to his injury. It’s not crazy to say that he could still use some time in the minors or at least in a limited role for a contending team.
If you’re the Phillies, Brown’s injury could be a blessing in disguise. It could force them to make a move for a right fielder who deserves to play a big role on a contending team. At the very least it could result in the Phillies using a guy in Francisco who — while he isn’t all that likely to slug .947 in the regular season — probably isn’t going to do any worse than Brown would have at his best in 2011.
And heck: since Ruben Amaro is a ninja, maybe he could play some crazy ninja mind trick on some other GM and convince them that Francisco is a .947 slugger and convince him to give up something valuable for him. He’s done more surprising things recently.
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 4
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 85
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (86)