Mar 7, 2011, 5:59 AM EDT
Mark Feinsand of the Daily News reports that, despite Joe Girardi’s stated preference of keeping Derek Jeter as his leadoff hitter, ”some inside the organization” want to see Brett Gardner at the top of the order and Jeter moved down to the two-slot.
There are two ways to look at this, I reckon. On the one hand, Garder’s on-base skills are pretty special. Unless Jeter returns to 2009 form and Gardner slumps, Gardner is almost certain to get on base at a better clip than Jeter.
On the other hand, there’s this. So you see, it’s not nearly as clear-cut as one might imagine.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 14
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 45
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17