Mar 7, 2011, 1:45 PM EST
Chris Carpenter had been hoping to get back on the mound Friday after leaving his start last week with a hamstring injury, but Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that’s now “doubtful” after the former Cy Young winner felt a “twinge” in the hamstring during a bullpen session yesterday.
According to Strauss “the condition has improved, but the Cardinals remain extremely reluctant to push Carpenter” and there’s no official timetable for his return, with manager Tony La Russa indicating that Carpenter could potentially start on Opening Day even if he doesn’t get any further spring training work.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 322
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (328)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)