Mar 7, 2011, 5:44 PM EDT
As expected, Dominic Brown will undergo surgery tomorrow on the broken hamate bone in his right hand and will be sidelined for 4-6 weeks.
Hamate injuries can be tough to recover from, particularly for power hitters, as it often takes a while before their full strength returns.
It’s an unfortunate setback for one of the game’s best hitting prospects, as Brown was deserving of a chance to claim the starting job in right field after hitting .327 with 20 homers, 17 steals, and a .980 OPS in 93 games between Double-A and Triple-A prior to being called up mostly to sit on the Phillies’ bench down the stretch.
In the short term, however, Ben Francisco is capable of doing a decent job as the primary right fielder. He’s off to a good start this spring and has hit .263 with a .775 OPS in 1,221 career plate appearances, which is very close to average production from a corner outfielder. He may be hard-pressed to match those career totals if he’s no longer being spotted mostly versus left-handed pitching, but expecting much more than that type of production from Brown as a 23-year-old rookie would be wishful thinking anyway.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 1
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 32
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 236
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (237)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)