Mar 7, 2011, 8:45 AM EDT
Read the stuff about the Yankees rotation and you’d think that they were the first team to ever be a tad short on starters before. The tell: every time they face a half-decent one, there are stories about how that guy could fit in the Yankees rotation:
Yesterday at Osceola County Stadium against the Astros, the Yankees got a look at Brett Myers, a 30-year-old right-hander who may not be what he was five years ago but has experience and is a strong candidate to be shopped by the Astros, who need players.
Myers isn’t as sexy as Felix Hernandez, Josh Johnson, Francisco Liriano, Chris Carpenter, Carlos Zambrano or Fausto Carmona. Yet, he is 87-71 with a 4.20 career ERA in nine seasons and was 14-8 with a 3.14 ERA a year ago in his first season with the Astros.
It’s the spring. Even teams who don’t stand to go anywhere like the Astros are feeling optimistic and, more importantly, are selling it to their fans. And even the Yankees will want to see where they stand with what they have. No one is trading a front of the rotation starter right now. This is all so much idle covetousness.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 64
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 67
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)