Mar 7, 2011, 8:45 AM EDT
Read the stuff about the Yankees rotation and you’d think that they were the first team to ever be a tad short on starters before. The tell: every time they face a half-decent one, there are stories about how that guy could fit in the Yankees rotation:
Yesterday at Osceola County Stadium against the Astros, the Yankees got a look at Brett Myers, a 30-year-old right-hander who may not be what he was five years ago but has experience and is a strong candidate to be shopped by the Astros, who need players.
Myers isn’t as sexy as Felix Hernandez, Josh Johnson, Francisco Liriano, Chris Carpenter, Carlos Zambrano or Fausto Carmona. Yet, he is 87-71 with a 4.20 career ERA in nine seasons and was 14-8 with a 3.14 ERA a year ago in his first season with the Astros.
It’s the spring. Even teams who don’t stand to go anywhere like the Astros are feeling optimistic and, more importantly, are selling it to their fans. And even the Yankees will want to see where they stand with what they have. No one is trading a front of the rotation starter right now. This is all so much idle covetousness.
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 2
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 53
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 29
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 37
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 8
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (105)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)