Mar 7, 2011, 8:45 AM EST
Read the stuff about the Yankees rotation and you’d think that they were the first team to ever be a tad short on starters before. The tell: every time they face a half-decent one, there are stories about how that guy could fit in the Yankees rotation:
Yesterday at Osceola County Stadium against the Astros, the Yankees got a look at Brett Myers, a 30-year-old right-hander who may not be what he was five years ago but has experience and is a strong candidate to be shopped by the Astros, who need players.
Myers isn’t as sexy as Felix Hernandez, Josh Johnson, Francisco Liriano, Chris Carpenter, Carlos Zambrano or Fausto Carmona. Yet, he is 87-71 with a 4.20 career ERA in nine seasons and was 14-8 with a 3.14 ERA a year ago in his first season with the Astros.
It’s the spring. Even teams who don’t stand to go anywhere like the Astros are feeling optimistic and, more importantly, are selling it to their fans. And even the Yankees will want to see where they stand with what they have. No one is trading a front of the rotation starter right now. This is all so much idle covetousness.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 329
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (330)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)