Mar 7, 2011, 10:11 PM EDT
Bad news out of Tigers’ camp.
According to Tom Gage of the Detroit News, Joel Zumaya went for a second opinion on his surgically-repaired elbow earlier today.
Zumaya hasn’t pitched since scar tissue broke away from his elbow during his first Grapefruit League appearance last Sunday against the Blue Jays. The hard-throwing right-hander was originally expected to only miss a few days, but Tigers pitching coach Rick Knapp told Steve Kornacki of MLive.com that the club recently sent him for an MRI.
“Nothing has shown up out of the ordinary on the tests,” Knapp said. “He went full-bore and had discomfort. It’s in the doctor’s hands now.
“He’s got hardware in his elbow and that can’t be good. But plenty of guys have come back from it. Joel has that high-torque delivery that generates so much stress. It’s an oddity. And when you suffer an injury, you always want to protect it.”
Constant injuries have limited Zumaya to just 126 1/3 innings since he posted a 1.94 ERA over 83 1/3 innings in his rookie season with the Tigers back in 2006. He’s proof positive that throwing hard can be both a blessing and a curse.
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 22
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 22
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 40
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 63
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 75
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 91
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 40
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)