Mar 7, 2011, 10:11 PM EDT
Bad news out of Tigers’ camp.
According to Tom Gage of the Detroit News, Joel Zumaya went for a second opinion on his surgically-repaired elbow earlier today.
Zumaya hasn’t pitched since scar tissue broke away from his elbow during his first Grapefruit League appearance last Sunday against the Blue Jays. The hard-throwing right-hander was originally expected to only miss a few days, but Tigers pitching coach Rick Knapp told Steve Kornacki of MLive.com that the club recently sent him for an MRI.
“Nothing has shown up out of the ordinary on the tests,” Knapp said. “He went full-bore and had discomfort. It’s in the doctor’s hands now.
“He’s got hardware in his elbow and that can’t be good. But plenty of guys have come back from it. Joel has that high-torque delivery that generates so much stress. It’s an oddity. And when you suffer an injury, you always want to protect it.”
Constant injuries have limited Zumaya to just 126 1/3 innings since he posted a 1.94 ERA over 83 1/3 innings in his rookie season with the Tigers back in 2006. He’s proof positive that throwing hard can be both a blessing and a curse.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)