Mar 7, 2011, 3:59 PM EDT
For next year, that is, not this year:
A section of premium seats behind home plate in the Florida Marlins’ new ballpark has sold out.
The Marlins said Monday that all 379 diamond club seats have been bought for when the team moves into the park next year. The team says a majority of dugout club seats behind the first- and third-base lines have been sold.
I’m sure the new place will draw well, at least for a while. Based on my walk around the building site last year it still seems like a logistical nightmare to get in and out of the place due to the limited freeway access and the fact that it’s closer to narrow neighborhood streets as opposed to main thoroughfares and given that public transportation is limited. But at least it’s closer to the city and the money and all of that. Plus it really does look like it will be a pretty ballpark when it’s all done.
Here’s an idea: the Marlins should give, like, five pound bricks of free tickets to 2011 games up at the old place to whoever buys season tickets for the new place for 2012. Get some future die-hard Marlins fans acquainted with the team. Sell some beer.
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 10
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 90
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (91)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)