Mar 7, 2011, 3:59 PM EST
For next year, that is, not this year:
A section of premium seats behind home plate in the Florida Marlins’ new ballpark has sold out.
The Marlins said Monday that all 379 diamond club seats have been bought for when the team moves into the park next year. The team says a majority of dugout club seats behind the first- and third-base lines have been sold.
I’m sure the new place will draw well, at least for a while. Based on my walk around the building site last year it still seems like a logistical nightmare to get in and out of the place due to the limited freeway access and the fact that it’s closer to narrow neighborhood streets as opposed to main thoroughfares and given that public transportation is limited. But at least it’s closer to the city and the money and all of that. Plus it really does look like it will be a pretty ballpark when it’s all done.
Here’s an idea: the Marlins should give, like, five pound bricks of free tickets to 2011 games up at the old place to whoever buys season tickets for the new place for 2012. Get some future die-hard Marlins fans acquainted with the team. Sell some beer.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 56
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 23
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 360
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (360)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)