Mar 7, 2011, 1:13 PM EDT
It’s not quite Carlos Silva scuffling with a teammate in the dugout because the defense made an error behind him in an exhibition game, but Padres ace Mat Latos had a mini-freakout following a rough spring training start yesterday.
Don Norcross of the San Diego Union Tribune reports that Latos, who has been known to get overly emotional about things in the past, “fired his glove against the dugout wall” and “took issue with an umpire’s strike zone” after failing to make it out of the second inning against the A’s.
Bud Black stressed afterward that he’s “not worried” about Latos’ outing, and rightfully so, but the manager did say some interesting things about the 23-year-old right-hander’s emotions in general:
I saw some frustration as the inning moved forward and you can’t pitch like that. Mat again was a little bit erratic. He just didn’t look comfortable. We’re going to have to make sure we iron out some things in the bullpen. For some players, it takes longer than others to get those emotions channeled.
As Carlos Zambrano will tell you, there’s a fine line between “bulldog” and “anger management classes.”
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 23
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 4
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 6
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 29
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 31
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 20
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)