Mar 7, 2011, 1:13 PM EDT
It’s not quite Carlos Silva scuffling with a teammate in the dugout because the defense made an error behind him in an exhibition game, but Padres ace Mat Latos had a mini-freakout following a rough spring training start yesterday.
Don Norcross of the San Diego Union Tribune reports that Latos, who has been known to get overly emotional about things in the past, “fired his glove against the dugout wall” and “took issue with an umpire’s strike zone” after failing to make it out of the second inning against the A’s.
Bud Black stressed afterward that he’s “not worried” about Latos’ outing, and rightfully so, but the manager did say some interesting things about the 23-year-old right-hander’s emotions in general:
I saw some frustration as the inning moved forward and you can’t pitch like that. Mat again was a little bit erratic. He just didn’t look comfortable. We’re going to have to make sure we iron out some things in the bullpen. For some players, it takes longer than others to get those emotions channeled.
As Carlos Zambrano will tell you, there’s a fine line between “bulldog” and “anger management classes.”
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (99)