Mar 7, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
According to manager Ned Yost the shortstop “scratched it and now he’s got red streaks and it’s swollen and warm.”
Yost added that it’s “nothing major” and said Escobar is on antibiotics to clear up the infection, so presumably he’ll be back in the lineup at some point later this week.
No word yet on if the bug in question is of the “bed” variety, and further whether Escobar knew to sleep tight and not let them bite.
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 8
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 21
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 10
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 47
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)