Mar 7, 2011, 9:56 AM EST
No, I don’t want to rehash arguments for and against the DH. People are more likely to come to an agreement over religion than that. Let us just all agree that I’m right, the DH is an awful tool of communism/evil and that it should be abolished with righteous fury.
But that’s another conversation we can have at another time in which those who disagree with me will be wrong. For now, even if we cannot agree on the DH/no-DH question, can we at least respect the views of those who differ from us on this? Bud Shaw of the Cleveland Plain Dealer can’t:
As the home team, the Rockies didn’t allow the Indians to use a DH Sunday. That makes no sense. But it’s the home team’s call … Why wouldn’t a NL manager let a visiting AL team use a DH in a meaningless spring training game? Good question.
Maybe because the NL manager has to play an entire schedule with pitchers batting and he’d like to, you know, prepare his team for that in the preseason? Both in terms of having his pitchers bat and in terms of preparing hsi defense for the sacrifice bunts, such as the one an Indians pitcher did in the very game which Shaw is describing?
Crazy, I know …
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 19
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 8
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 18
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 31
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)