Mar 7, 2011, 9:56 AM EDT
No, I don’t want to rehash arguments for and against the DH. People are more likely to come to an agreement over religion than that. Let us just all agree that I’m right, the DH is an awful tool of communism/evil and that it should be abolished with righteous fury.
But that’s another conversation we can have at another time in which those who disagree with me will be wrong. For now, even if we cannot agree on the DH/no-DH question, can we at least respect the views of those who differ from us on this? Bud Shaw of the Cleveland Plain Dealer can’t:
As the home team, the Rockies didn’t allow the Indians to use a DH Sunday. That makes no sense. But it’s the home team’s call … Why wouldn’t a NL manager let a visiting AL team use a DH in a meaningless spring training game? Good question.
Maybe because the NL manager has to play an entire schedule with pitchers batting and he’d like to, you know, prepare his team for that in the preseason? Both in terms of having his pitchers bat and in terms of preparing hsi defense for the sacrifice bunts, such as the one an Indians pitcher did in the very game which Shaw is describing?
Crazy, I know …
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 58
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 17
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)