Mar 7, 2011, 9:09 AM EDT
Remember back in October how the players, umpires and Major League Baseball announced that they were going to meet in order to address the increasingly sorry state of umpiring? OK, that’s my characterization, I suppose the umps viewed it differently. Anyway, after a delay of several months they finally met yesterday.
“We had a productive exchange about a range of issues of concern to players, umpires and the commissioner’s office,” union head Michael Weiner said … Attending for MLB were executive vice presidents Joe Torre and Rob Manfred, senior adviser Frank Robinson and senior vice president Dan Halem.
“Just a conversation about areas of mutual concern,” Manfred said.
The biggest area of concern in my view is not necessarily blown calls. Those are bad, but they are merely a case of human error. Replay would fix a lot of that, but Bud Selig has made it abundantly clear that ain’t happening any time soon.
No, the biggest issue is the demeanor of umpires and their increasingly confrontational behavior when they screw up a call or if their authority is questioned. This is, in turn, compounded by the fact that the Commissioner’s Office has shown time and again that it has no interest whatsoever in disciplining umpires or, at the very least, being transparent about such discipline so as to instill confidence in their system. Players and fans are increasingly exasperated, and rightfully so.
There is no word coming out of this meeting on any action dealing with any of this, so the problems are probably going to continue. And if they again wait six months after another ugly incident occurs to address it, I fully anticipate that any sense of urgency will be once again lost and they’ll have a nice little meeting that does nothing.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 1
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 19
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 11
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 36
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 11
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 42
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (186)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)