Mar 7, 2011, 9:09 AM EDT
Remember back in October how the players, umpires and Major League Baseball announced that they were going to meet in order to address the increasingly sorry state of umpiring? OK, that’s my characterization, I suppose the umps viewed it differently. Anyway, after a delay of several months they finally met yesterday.
“We had a productive exchange about a range of issues of concern to players, umpires and the commissioner’s office,” union head Michael Weiner said … Attending for MLB were executive vice presidents Joe Torre and Rob Manfred, senior adviser Frank Robinson and senior vice president Dan Halem.
“Just a conversation about areas of mutual concern,” Manfred said.
The biggest area of concern in my view is not necessarily blown calls. Those are bad, but they are merely a case of human error. Replay would fix a lot of that, but Bud Selig has made it abundantly clear that ain’t happening any time soon.
No, the biggest issue is the demeanor of umpires and their increasingly confrontational behavior when they screw up a call or if their authority is questioned. This is, in turn, compounded by the fact that the Commissioner’s Office has shown time and again that it has no interest whatsoever in disciplining umpires or, at the very least, being transparent about such discipline so as to instill confidence in their system. Players and fans are increasingly exasperated, and rightfully so.
There is no word coming out of this meeting on any action dealing with any of this, so the problems are probably going to continue. And if they again wait six months after another ugly incident occurs to address it, I fully anticipate that any sense of urgency will be once again lost and they’ll have a nice little meeting that does nothing.
- The Dodgers and Braves are deep into trade talks involving Juan Uribe and Alberto Callaspo 11
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 46
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 36
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 6
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 19
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 59
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)