Mar 8, 2011, 9:12 PM EDT
“[Wednesday] I’ll hit again on the field if everything feels good,” he said. “And see how it responds hitting back-to-back days. Right now, the plan is to take it easy on Thursday. I don’t think I’m going to be off, but I’m going to back off and give it a rest so I can start planning out for some kind of game action next week sometime — maybe even earlier, I don’t know. Maybe next week some time.”
And he’s chomping at the bit to get started.
Instead of testing his surgically-repaired shoulder by taking some swings in a “B” game, Gonzalez told Mullen that he plans to move directly from live batting practice to exhibition action. Look out, Grapefruit League hurlers.
The 28-year-old first baseman batted .298/.393/.511 with 31 homers and 101 RBI last season and should thrive calling the hitter-friendly Fenway Park home.
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 17
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 29
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 52
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 29
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 48
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (186)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)