Mar 8, 2011, 8:22 AM EST
You may recall that some vacancies were created in MLB Baseball Operations yesterday.Ken Gurnick of MLB.com reports that Dodgers assistant general manager Kim Ng is leaving the franchise to become senior vice president of baseball operations with Major League Baseball.
Most people know Ng as the first woman to be seriously considered for GM jobs in MLB. Three that I can remember: the Dodgers, the Mariners and the Padres. And, interview or not, her name usually gets mentioned when there’s a vacancy. She has worked with the league before too. Well, sorta: she worked in the American League office before the individual leagues were abolished as actual administrative entities.
I think the most interesting thing about this is that, going into baseball operations, she’ll be back with Joe Torre who worked for her in both New York and L.A. Torre is “Executive Vice President of Baseball Operations.” Ng is “Senior Vice President of Baseball Operations.” Does an Executive trump a Senior? I tend to think so, but I’m not sure. My corporate-fu is weak.
No matter who’s the boss, however, I get a kick out of seeing former Dodgers working for MLB. It’s like Bud Selig is operating his very own refugee assistance plan for those fleeing the McCourt regime.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 137
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 31
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 36
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (148)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)