Mar 8, 2011, 8:22 AM EDT
You may recall that some vacancies were created in MLB Baseball Operations yesterday.Ken Gurnick of MLB.com reports that Dodgers assistant general manager Kim Ng is leaving the franchise to become senior vice president of baseball operations with Major League Baseball.
Most people know Ng as the first woman to be seriously considered for GM jobs in MLB. Three that I can remember: the Dodgers, the Mariners and the Padres. And, interview or not, her name usually gets mentioned when there’s a vacancy. She has worked with the league before too. Well, sorta: she worked in the American League office before the individual leagues were abolished as actual administrative entities.
I think the most interesting thing about this is that, going into baseball operations, she’ll be back with Joe Torre who worked for her in both New York and L.A. Torre is “Executive Vice President of Baseball Operations.” Ng is “Senior Vice President of Baseball Operations.” Does an Executive trump a Senior? I tend to think so, but I’m not sure. My corporate-fu is weak.
No matter who’s the boss, however, I get a kick out of seeing former Dodgers working for MLB. It’s like Bud Selig is operating his very own refugee assistance plan for those fleeing the McCourt regime.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 77
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 51
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)