Assistant GM Kim Ng leaving the Dodgers, joining MLB

Mar 8, 2011, 8:22 AM EDT

Kim Ng

You may recall that some vacancies were created in MLB Baseball Operations yesterday.Ken Gurnick of MLB.com reports that Dodgers assistant general manager Kim Ng is leaving the franchise to become senior vice president of baseball operations with Major League Baseball.

Most people know Ng as the first woman to be seriously considered for GM jobs in MLB. Three that I can remember: the Dodgers, the Mariners and the Padres.  And, interview or not, her name usually gets mentioned when there’s a vacancy.  She has worked with the league before too. Well, sorta: she worked in the American League office before the individual leagues were abolished as actual administrative entities.

I think the most interesting thing about this is that, going into baseball operations, she’ll be back with Joe Torre who worked for her in both New York and L.A.   Torre is “Executive Vice President of Baseball Operations.”  Ng is “Senior Vice President of Baseball Operations.”  Does an Executive trump a Senior?  I tend to think so, but I’m not sure. My corporate-fu is weak.

No matter who’s the boss, however, I get a kick out of seeing former Dodgers working for MLB. It’s like Bud Selig is operating his very own refugee assistance plan for those fleeing the McCourt regime.

1. Jason @ IIATMS - Mar 8, 2011 at 8:29 AM

EVP > SVP

Ng served with Cashman in NY for a while and is VERY highly regarded. Good for her and for MLB.

2. ThatGuy - Mar 8, 2011 at 8:42 AM

Does anyone know the pronunciation of Ng? When I read it in my head I pronounce it as N G as in the individual letters, but I doubt thats correct. Just curious if anyone knows.

• Craig Calcaterra - Mar 8, 2011 at 8:43 AM

I could be wrong, but I’ve always said “eng.” But I may be getting bad guidance from that They Might Be Giants song in doing so.

• Ari Collins - Mar 8, 2011 at 8:51 AM

Now that song is forever stuck in my head. THANKS.

• dodger88 - Mar 8, 2011 at 8:44 AM

I think it is pronounced “Ang”.

• Jason @ IIATMS - Mar 8, 2011 at 8:57 AM

I’ve heard it pronounced “ing”

• cur68 - Mar 8, 2011 at 10:50 AM

Sorry to mess with you fellas but I’ve heard it pronounced by 4 or 5 different people who actually have it as a sur name each of the three ways (‘ing’, ‘ang, & ‘eng’) you’ve got here. I think it has to do with where you are from in Asia as the name is ubiquitous. I think you’ll have to ask Ms. Ng (choose pronunciation of your choice) how its said then we’ll know. Frankly, she needs to do up a few more buttons or we’ll know more about her than she might like, if that picture Craig has used is anything to go by.

3. dodger88 - Mar 8, 2011 at 8:43 AM

She’ll be missed; she handled much of the contract negotiations if I am not mistaken including arbitration cases, which the Dodgers almost always avoid thanks to a pre-hearing settlement. I think she finally ends up a GM after her stint in the MLB offices.

4. paperlions - Mar 8, 2011 at 8:51 AM

Nothing like having a boss that is so obviously less qualified for a job than you are. Torre can’t even effectively manage a bullpen, but he’s in charge of baseball operations?

• Jason @ IIATMS - Mar 8, 2011 at 8:58 AM

What’s the sign of a good, secure manager? Hiring people smarter than he/she around them.

Torre is as secure as they come (all that Yankee cash helps) so hiring smarter people is an even smarter move.

• sportsdrenched - Mar 8, 2011 at 9:59 AM

That’s what I was thinking. Being comfortable enough to put smarter people around you is always a good sign.

• paperlions - Mar 8, 2011 at 11:02 AM

I agree with that, but in this case it seems to be out of necessity…but at least Torre (or someone) realizes that he isn’t capable of doing the job. The question is “then why hire him for it”?

• Detroit Michael - Mar 8, 2011 at 11:40 AM

I don’t know enough about Torre’s new job and Torre’s capabilities to judge whether he is capable of doing it. Given the lack of evidence, I’d be inclined to assume it is likely that he is capable of filling the job or he wouldn’t have been hired for it.

I am skeptical whether other posters know more than I do. Torre’s 2010 bullpen mismanagement doesn’t have much relevance to his new job.

5. garryfish - Mar 8, 2011 at 8:59 AM

If Cashman leaves, the next GM of the Yankees

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3575)