Benches clear in today’s Dodgers-Brewers game

Mar 8, 2011, 7:42 PM EDT

Casey McGehee

It’s one thing to take spring training results too seriously. It’s quite another to care enough to actually fight over them.

That’s what nearly happened in today’s Dodgers-Brewers game, as Casey McGehee took offense to Roman Colon, who celebrated after he struck him out with the bases loaded to end the sixth inning.

Benches cleared and Prince Fielder had to be restrained, but as McGehee explained to Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, cooler heads eventually prevailed.

“Sometimes, people get excited. I got excited. He got excited. Prince got excited. No big deal.

“We talked about it afterwards. I told him where I was coming from. He told me where he was coming from. We shook hands. I told him I appreciated what he said. There’s a lot more important things to get (mad at) than a spring training game. He’s not going to lose any sleep over it and I’m not going to lose any sleep over it.”

Fortunately no punches were thrown, or Zack Greinke might not have been the only Brewers’ player starting the season on the disabled list for doing something pretty stupid.

1. cur68 - Mar 8, 2011 at 8:30 PM

Hell, I wouldn’t want to fight Prince Fielder either; he’s scrappy.

• jrd8523 - Mar 8, 2011 at 11:06 PM

Asking because I never get to see the Brewers. Has he ever actually fought?

• cur68 - Mar 8, 2011 at 11:19 PM

Yeah. He did a reverse Zambrano (sort of). Got into a scrap with his pitcher, Manny Parra, in the dugout during a game with the Reds. It was scrappy. Those guys are ballplayers.

• nixonotis - Mar 9, 2011 at 12:52 AM

The first rule of scrappiness is you cannot be an African American. Erstad? Scrappy. Eckstein? Scrappy. Punto? Scrappy. Oh, you also have to be terrible at your sport.

• cur68 - Mar 9, 2011 at 1:46 AM

I’m working on a paradigm change. Thus Erstad, Eckstein & Punto will now be my poster boys for instinctive ballplayers. They have natural ability. And man, can they dance. Too much ego, though. They should be more respectful & stop being so flashy. Or something.

• BC - Mar 9, 2011 at 9:34 AM

Fielder is a ballplayer.

2. fellspointbird - Mar 8, 2011 at 10:50 PM

Casey McGeehee, now there’s a real gym rat.

3. Walk - Mar 9, 2011 at 12:49 AM

Must be another unwritten rule. I have been trying to figure it out for a while, maybe the pitcher has to earn more than the hitter in order to celebrate a good play by himself or the defense, or maybe its less…

4. The Baseball Idiot - Mar 9, 2011 at 8:20 AM

So if I understand this correctly, Prince Fielder thought it was wrong for a player on one team to show up a player on another team?

I’d say the big hypocrite owes Barry Zito an apology.

• spudchukar - Mar 9, 2011 at 5:35 PM

I’m with you this time BI. The BREWERS?, are upset by excessive celebration? Since When?

5. PanchoHerreraFanClub - Mar 9, 2011 at 8:54 AM

Guys, ligthen up its only the second week of spring training games!

6. BC - Mar 9, 2011 at 9:08 AM

Can’t really comment on how egregious things were, because I haven’t seen the pitcher’s celebration.
    Say, didn’t Prince Fielder storm the Dodgers locker room a couple years back? Bad blood lingering?

A managerial overanalysis epidemic