Mar 8, 2011, 7:42 PM EDT
It’s one thing to take spring training results too seriously. It’s quite another to care enough to actually fight over them.
That’s what nearly happened in today’s Dodgers-Brewers game, as Casey McGehee took offense to Roman Colon, who celebrated after he struck him out with the bases loaded to end the sixth inning.
“Sometimes, people get excited. I got excited. He got excited. Prince got excited. No big deal.
“We talked about it afterwards. I told him where I was coming from. He told me where he was coming from. We shook hands. I told him I appreciated what he said. There’s a lot more important things to get (mad at) than a spring training game. He’s not going to lose any sleep over it and I’m not going to lose any sleep over it.”
Fortunately no punches were thrown, or Zack Greinke might not have been the only Brewers’ player starting the season on the disabled list for doing something pretty stupid.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 24
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 24
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 38
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (144)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (99)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)