Carlos Beltran sits for the second straight day with a sore knee

Mar 8, 2011, 9:44 AM EDT

Carlos Beltran

Carlos Beltran sat out of the Mets game yesterday due to soreness in his knee and is out once again today, presumably for the same reason.

Beltran has yet to play his new position — right field — and the plan has been for him to DH for a week or so before tacking the outfield.  This knee soreness — even if Beltran describes it as sore “in a good way” — is pushing that plan back a bit.  And frankly, it has to be a bit worrisome if general workouts and a day at DH are keeping him on the pine.

1. hnirobert3 - Mar 8, 2011 at 9:46 AM

They should make him play in a bubble. It’s going to be hard to bat or field, but at least he’ll be healthy.

2. purdueman - Mar 8, 2011 at 10:03 AM

Beltran is big news to ESPN, because he plays for a New York team. We’re not that far away from one hour ESPN Sportscenters turning into their usual 25 minutes of Yankee coverage, 25 minutes of Red Sox coverage and 10 minutes of covering the “other” 28 MLB teams, the NFL, the NBA, Soccer, Nascar, the IRL and Golf. ESPN… the network that anyone who doesn’t live on the eastern seaboard loves to hate!

• Matthew Flint - Mar 8, 2011 at 10:18 AM

Dude, I live in Philly and I can’t stand ESPN. Luckily I have Comcast Sportsnet, MLB TV, NFL TV and the Golf Channel or I wouldn’t know what went on in the world of sports. ESPN has done what MTV did years ago, stopped doing what made them great and started their own productions of what they thought people would want. I made a stand not to watch MTV as soon as the music videos stopped, and I stopped watching ESPN as soon as their “anchors” became “celebrities”. They suck!

• purdueman - Mar 8, 2011 at 2:55 PM

I stopped watching ESPN Sportscenter years ago once smarmy (and very annoying), Stuart Scott became the center of attention. I don’t dislike him as much as I dislike Tim Mc Carver, but then again, Mc Carver’s an a_ss in a class all by himself too. I’m sure that the only time you get a fair amount of coverage from ESPN in Philly is only when there’s nothing going on in either Boston or New York. As far as ESPN is concerned, the Pacific Ocean washed up in Pittsburgh and nothing exists between Pittsburgh and Hawaii. Just the way it is.

3. BC - Mar 8, 2011 at 10:17 AM

Great. Off to a roaring start yet again. How long until Reyes pulls a hamstring or comes down with scurvy or beri-beri or shingles or something? How long until Wright is eaten by a rogue alligator? How long before Bay cracks the Mendoza line?
    Thank God for NASCAR.

4. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Mar 8, 2011 at 10:45 AM

Has the Mets 3B coach been fired for sending Beltran home from second in his first game (as a DH) meant to ease him into spring training? Why don’t they just ask the Red Sox if they can borrow Mike Cameron so those 2 can play kissy face again?

To the other posters, who watches ESPN anymore?

5. cur68 - Mar 8, 2011 at 11:11 AM

I was hoping it wasn’t going to be like this for Beltran. Alas, I fear he’ll be a DH, and likely a good one, but his days in the field are over. In other news, Vernon Wells continues to do quite well this spring training, doesn’t he?

• Jonny 5 - Mar 8, 2011 at 11:18 AM

Hat meet marinade????

• cur68 - Mar 8, 2011 at 11:46 AM

Yeah, Craig’s gonna have to do something over the course of the season because I fear its gonna take a miracle for Beltran to out perform Wells. The funny thing is that the miracle might be out there; HGH. It seems to work really well for the sort of injuries that Beltran has had. A course of treatment on the initial knee injury might have greatly improved the healing process. It certainly does in rats, at any rate. Sometimes I don’t get it; if you can have eye surgery to improve your vision, elbow surgery to improve your throwing arm, hair surgery to improve your looks, why in tarnation can’t you have HGH to improve your healing? Providing you aren’t taking it while healthy and playing it’s no worse than hyperbaric oxygen or acacia berries. The benefits might be equivocal (human studies take time, sometimes as long as a human’s average lifespan, so we have to hedge what we say), but so far we haven’t seen anything much in terms of side effects when used as a one time course for injury. If there was ever a guy who could have used HGH its Beltran and his cheese doodle knees. Hell you can throw in Wainwright, Zumaya, Bonds, Webb, and the list goes on and on. We’re going glacially slow with approving it as a treatment and I fear we’ll lose the best of guys like Beltran because of the pace we’re on.

• Jonny 5 - Mar 8, 2011 at 12:53 PM

“We’re going glacially slow with approving it as a treatment and I fear we’ll lose the best of guys like Beltran because of the pace we’re on.”

Drugs are bad. mmm kay chilren? MMkay?

No really, If it is to be used as a treatment it must be universally accepted and regulated. That sounds like a whole bunch of extra work for MLB huh? Easier to ban it. I think it could also open a loophole for steroids to be accepted for treatment use only, and I don’t like that either. BTW. A study was done up in (I think)Canada which showed HGH to improve sprint times for athletes, that’s the catch cur. It helps heal faster AND apparently helps the body to perform better too. We would hate it to become a “normal” thing and everyone ends up looking like the geico caveman as their skulls continue to build eyebrow bones large enough to block the sun from their eyes.

• cur68 - Mar 8, 2011 at 1:13 PM

Yeah, yeah, that’s the catch, isn’t it? The performance enhancing effects. That’s the Garvan study I think you have there. Wasn’t it about a 5% improvement? Bet I could demonstrate that effect with caffeine, though. Not to mention Tommy John surgery, lasik eye surgery and on and on. Its really a pity we’ve drawn the line where we have on HGH. Its effects are arguably no worse an enhancer than caffeine. The acromegaly etc are associated with long term use. I’m talking about single course use for injury recovery and no combined use of steroid (HGH with steroid is a REALLY potent combo; you can practically see the muscle change over the course of a week. You should see the rats on that stuff!). Beltran’s recovery would have been in half the time and far more complete.

6. Jonny 5 - Mar 8, 2011 at 1:35 PM

You should see the rats on that stuff!). kinda like this?

• cur68 - Mar 8, 2011 at 1:56 PM

Actually that’s not too far off. Scary.

Hitters adjusting to Masahiro Tanaka