Mar 8, 2011, 1:48 PM EDT
Orioles manager Buck Showalter told reporters this afternoon that Derrek Lee‘s spring training debut “is not imminent” and revealed that the veteran first baseman will have his sore right wrist examined by a specialist.
After struggling for much of last season Lee underwent surgery to repair a torn ligament in his right thumb in November and had to settle for a one-year deal as a free agent, but according to Showalter the wrist soreness is unrelated.
Here’s more of what Showalter told Jeff Zriebec of the Baltimore Sun:
I don’t want to say tendonitis until they diagnose it. He’s going to see a specialist in Sarasota just to make sure we know what we are dealing with. I really like the fact that the actual surgery and all that feels real good. This is something a little different. You have something that inactive that long, all of a sudden you start doing other things, sometimes it kind of flares up a little bit. I think we will have a better idea at the end of the day what we are dealing with.
After a miserable first two-thirds of the season Lee rebounded to hit .287 with an .849 OPS in 39 games following a trade to the Braves, basically matching his career numbers, but two injuries to the same hand could make it tough for him to maintain that production for an entire season at age 35.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 31
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 38
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 48
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)