Mar 8, 2011, 1:48 PM EST
Orioles manager Buck Showalter told reporters this afternoon that Derrek Lee‘s spring training debut “is not imminent” and revealed that the veteran first baseman will have his sore right wrist examined by a specialist.
After struggling for much of last season Lee underwent surgery to repair a torn ligament in his right thumb in November and had to settle for a one-year deal as a free agent, but according to Showalter the wrist soreness is unrelated.
Here’s more of what Showalter told Jeff Zriebec of the Baltimore Sun:
I don’t want to say tendonitis until they diagnose it. He’s going to see a specialist in Sarasota just to make sure we know what we are dealing with. I really like the fact that the actual surgery and all that feels real good. This is something a little different. You have something that inactive that long, all of a sudden you start doing other things, sometimes it kind of flares up a little bit. I think we will have a better idea at the end of the day what we are dealing with.
After a miserable first two-thirds of the season Lee rebounded to hit .287 with an .849 OPS in 39 games following a trade to the Braves, basically matching his career numbers, but two injuries to the same hand could make it tough for him to maintain that production for an entire season at age 35.
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 12
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Pete Rose will be at the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year 29
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)