Mar 8, 2011, 1:48 PM EDT
Orioles manager Buck Showalter told reporters this afternoon that Derrek Lee‘s spring training debut “is not imminent” and revealed that the veteran first baseman will have his sore right wrist examined by a specialist.
After struggling for much of last season Lee underwent surgery to repair a torn ligament in his right thumb in November and had to settle for a one-year deal as a free agent, but according to Showalter the wrist soreness is unrelated.
Here’s more of what Showalter told Jeff Zriebec of the Baltimore Sun:
I don’t want to say tendonitis until they diagnose it. He’s going to see a specialist in Sarasota just to make sure we know what we are dealing with. I really like the fact that the actual surgery and all that feels real good. This is something a little different. You have something that inactive that long, all of a sudden you start doing other things, sometimes it kind of flares up a little bit. I think we will have a better idea at the end of the day what we are dealing with.
After a miserable first two-thirds of the season Lee rebounded to hit .287 with an .849 OPS in 39 games following a trade to the Braves, basically matching his career numbers, but two injuries to the same hand could make it tough for him to maintain that production for an entire season at age 35.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 16
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 45
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 91
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)