Mar 8, 2011, 1:48 PM EST
Orioles manager Buck Showalter told reporters this afternoon that Derrek Lee‘s spring training debut “is not imminent” and revealed that the veteran first baseman will have his sore right wrist examined by a specialist.
After struggling for much of last season Lee underwent surgery to repair a torn ligament in his right thumb in November and had to settle for a one-year deal as a free agent, but according to Showalter the wrist soreness is unrelated.
Here’s more of what Showalter told Jeff Zriebec of the Baltimore Sun:
I don’t want to say tendonitis until they diagnose it. He’s going to see a specialist in Sarasota just to make sure we know what we are dealing with. I really like the fact that the actual surgery and all that feels real good. This is something a little different. You have something that inactive that long, all of a sudden you start doing other things, sometimes it kind of flares up a little bit. I think we will have a better idea at the end of the day what we are dealing with.
After a miserable first two-thirds of the season Lee rebounded to hit .287 with an .849 OPS in 39 games following a trade to the Braves, basically matching his career numbers, but two injuries to the same hand could make it tough for him to maintain that production for an entire season at age 35.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (124)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)