UPDATE: It was Evan Longoria’s car that got boosted

Mar 8, 2011, 3:33 PM EDT

Reggie Jackson

UPDATE: Disregard all that wild speculation below. Turns out it was Evan Longoria’s car that was stolen, not Reggie Jackson’s. Oh well, I never was that good a detective.

3: 33 P.M.: I’m bored, so I’m going to channel my fictitious hero Daryl Zero and play detective with this story from Arizona that reader Bloodysock sent in:

A Major League baseball player was having his classic 1967 black and white Camaro RS, valued at $75,000, upgraded by a Gilbert company only have it purloined from an overflow lot in Chandler, police said.

That car and a Buick GSX , valued at $25,000, were stolen between late Saturday and early Sunday from an overflow lot at 260 E. Comstock Rd. in Chandler, said Chandler Police Det. David Ramer.

The article does not name the player, but says that he “lives in California, but was having work done on the car in Arizona. He plays in the Grapefruit League, not the Cactus League, and the car has Florida license plates.”  There’s not a ton to go on, but I’m going to make a guess: Reggie Jackson.

Yes, I know he doesn’t play anymore, but he is at least in the Grapefruit League right now doing his little spring training instructor thing with the Yankees.  And he’s a major, major classic car collector, with a specific emphasis on muscle cars. I’m not sure where he makes his home, but given his time in Oakland and Anaheim and the fact that he owns auto dealerships in California, it wouldn’t surprise me if he lives there.

In January he sold multiple cars at an auto auction in Arizona , which would give him a reason to have cars in the Phoenix area. And perhaps he throws service business to old friends from his ASU days, explaining why his car would be serviced on a lot in Chandler.  The Florida license plate is somewhat problematic, but perhaps he owns property there registers cars there for some reason.  Or maybe he bought it from someone at that auction who had it registered in Florida.

Total guessing and Googling. But I’m goin’ with Reggie Jackson based on my use of the two obs and a hunch.  A retraction shall be printed in the highly likely event that I am wrong.

1. Jonny 5 - Mar 8, 2011 at 3:51 PM

75 k ?? LOL!! a 67 RS is very rarely worth 75k. If it were it would not be in an overflow lot.

• takemytalentstosoutheuclid - Mar 8, 2011 at 4:05 PM

Agreed. the GSX might easily be, though. They probably got the values mixed up.

2. BC - Mar 8, 2011 at 3:54 PM

I wouldn’t steal one of his cars. You seen him lately? He’s the most jacked 65-year old guy I’ve ever seen. Snap you in half.

3. cur68 - Mar 8, 2011 at 4:00 PM

We need yankeesfanlen and right now. He’s like Jack Bauer or something. I bet he already knows the answer as to who’s car it was and/or who it was him that nicked (possibly) Reggie’s ride. Whatever’s going on, someone seems to be collecting ballplayer’s cars. hmmm…spudchukker’s been on the road recently. He likes baseball.

• BC - Mar 8, 2011 at 4:12 PM

Maybe yankeesfanlen stole the car….

• cur68 - Mar 8, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Actually that was my first thought, hence my typo (the misplaced ‘him’ was in reference to len). Then I thought about Romero’s car being nicked and spudchukker being in the area. This is not coincidence. There will be others.

• yankeesfanlen - Mar 8, 2011 at 4:38 PM

To correct a misapprehension from a commentor above, the ’67 Camaro is MUCH more likely to be worth the 75K than a GSX. A muscle car in demand and in pristine condition for it’s age is gonna be a Chevy, not a Buick. (I’d take a Mustang myself, but I’ve always liked Henry’ products).
      Anyway, Reggie has a residence in Carmel-by-the-Sea, CA, and used to have a spread (until ’06) in Vegas.
      Barrett Jackson Classic Car Auction is in Scottsdale AZ- they get 1000s of cars a year and it’s on Speed Network all the time.
      I can think of no reason why Reggie would stay in a Holiday Inn Express in Tampa, he’s there all of spring training, and he’s a former Yankee.. Do you think Beep-beep is going to move when he retires?
      My operatives are on the case.

• Panda Claus - Mar 8, 2011 at 6:31 PM

You don’t need me agreeing with you to justify any of your opinions, but I too would suspect the first year Camaro would likely be well worth that quoted estimate. And yes, I’m laying my expertise on the same Barrett-Jackson (and Mecum) Auction shows you mentioned appear on Speed Network. Those auctions are darn addicting to watch and it’s great to see awesome cars I’ll never own, much less get to ride in.

4. yankeesfanlen - Mar 8, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Try herehttp://sbctango.activeboard.com/forum.spark?aBID=133200&p=3&topicID=37200497-

5. yankeesfanlen - Mar 8, 2011 at 4:48 PM

I suspected as much! It’s a Yenko-installed 321 cu in 450 horsepower, VERY RARE that he’s owned since 1983! The RS was merely a trim level, back then, if a stock motor wasn’t enough, you’d jam something exoctic under the hood. 75K might even be a conservative estimate. Buick Muscle cars? Nope. Although a sweet ride might be a 70 deuce and a quarter convertible.
    Next case, I’ve got 23 hours left.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 8, 2011 at 5:54 PM

But who did you beat the crap out of?

• cur68 - Mar 8, 2011 at 6:00 PM

i vote he beat up spudchukker. note to self; self never commit a crime where len can see, kay?

• Utley's Hair - Mar 8, 2011 at 6:02 PM

Hey Len, if you find JC’s porsche, let me take it for a spin before you let him know, mmkay?

6. Jonny 5 - Mar 8, 2011 at 7:31 PM

I don’t know guys, a car you leave in an overflow lot can’t equal a Barrett Jackson quality RS Camaro.. The Camaro is usually worth more than the buick, depending on the model. I’ve had my hands in quite a few of these cars and 75 K is high unless it’s a Yenko. My Brother in Law just bought a 67 rag top black with white interior and it’s an SS. he paid like 35k and it’s really nice, even has good A/C.

Just like Len I’m into the mustangs and old fords myself. I sold my 64 falcon sprint, and my new project is a 65 mustang. I was born wrenching on muscle cars, it’s my dad’s fault.

• Jonny 5 - Mar 9, 2011 at 8:30 AM

I wouldn’t put it past Evan Longoria to leave a 75k camaro somewhere it could easily be ripped off. When you have money to burn……

• Utley's Hair - Mar 9, 2011 at 11:10 AM

But why the hell would Eva take his car to Arizona to get worked on? I hate to inconvenience people to give me a lift to pick up my car at the shop—and that’s only like 2 miles away. But Arizona? From Florida?

7. Utley's Hair - Mar 8, 2011 at 10:17 PM

Was Longoria’s cap in the car?

8. marshmallowsnake - Mar 9, 2011 at 11:06 AM

It makes sense, since the article was saying it was a current player…or at least that was the impression that I got.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3086)