Don’t taunt Bryce Harper

Mar 8, 2011, 9:26 AM EDT

Bryce Harper AP

Bryce Harper is still a work in progress. He should spend the whole season in the minors and likely will barring some gimmick callup at the end of the year to goose attendance.  But even if he needs to work on messing with ungodly major league offspeed stuff, he already knows how to quiet the haters:

With Harper at the plate, one fan in the stands yelled, “Overrated, overrated.” On the next pitch from reliever Jorge De Leon, Harper doubled near the right-field line, scoring Matt Stairs and Alex Cora.

Harper acknowledged that he heard the heckling from the fan.

Not that this sort of behavior is limited to phenoms like Harper.  When I was in Phoenix last week watching the A’s vs. the Indians, Chad Huffman came to bat for the Tribe.  One of the many mouthy A’s fans sitting near the press box yelled “Who the hell is that? You’ll be in Columbus all year, Chaddy!”  Huffman then proceeded to hit a double off the wall.

I love it when that stuff happens.

1. phillygirl4 - Mar 8, 2011 at 9:40 AM

So just b/c someone has the ability to play well means we can’t heckle them? I think the best players in the game are the most heckled. It really has nothing to do with their ability – it’s just a way to pick on someone who doesn’t play for your team. Everybody does this.

• Craig Calcaterra - Mar 8, 2011 at 9:45 AM

Who says you can’t heckle? Heckle all you want. I just like it when a heckler’s target responds by doing something that may not make the heckler very happy.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Mar 8, 2011 at 10:17 AM

Craaaaaaaaig…Craaaaaaaaaig…..Craaaaaaaaaaig…YOU SUCK!

I dare you to hit a double.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Mar 8, 2011 at 10:39 AM

Marge: Children, that’s not very nice
        Lisa: Mom, they are professional athletes. It rolls right off their back

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Mar 8, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Church! Nailed it!

2. larryhockett - Mar 8, 2011 at 9:40 AM

I’m always saddened to be reminded that the tenets of common decency are completely vanishing in our society. It’s one thing for a loudmouth fan to take it upon himself to bash Bryce Harper who by all accounts is arrogant enough to handle it. But what degree of loser feels compelled to insult some A’s minor leaguer trying to make a career for himself? How low must your self-esteem be to hang around in the waning innings of a spring training game so you can spout some hate on players you never heard of before and likely will never hear of again? I know it’s not the majority of fans doing this but the fact that it’s accepted is sad.

• Cran Boy - Mar 8, 2011 at 9:54 AM

Actually, Huffman’s with the Indians, which only serves to amplify larryhockett’s point.

• paperlions - Mar 8, 2011 at 2:19 PM

Larry, have you ever watched footage from games in the early 20th century? or from the mid-20th century? If anything, fans are more civil than they used to be toward players (and umpires). Fans used to regularly enter the field of play to personally argue with the umps.

• larryhockett - Mar 8, 2011 at 4:41 PM

You’re right. We all like to think that the world was once a kindler, gentler place. The reality is that the world was never a kind or gentle place. Geez, that’s a depressing thought, huh?

3. sportsdrenched - Mar 8, 2011 at 9:54 AM

I heckled a lot more when I was younger. Way I look at it, as long as you’re not profane/disgusting heckling is apart of the game. These guys are professionals the should be able to handle it.

I keep my mouth shut at college and high school games. Unless the Ref/Umpire blows a call, then it’s on.

4. Jonny 5 - Mar 8, 2011 at 9:56 AM

very cool. The only thing better would have been him putting it in the bleachers.

5. tomemos - Mar 8, 2011 at 10:07 AM

He still wears too much eye black.

• BC - Mar 8, 2011 at 10:23 AM

Maybe he’s trying to look like these guys?

Who knows, WWE may beckon.

6. BC - Mar 8, 2011 at 10:22 AM

God I hope Stairs makes the team.

7. mdpickles - Mar 8, 2011 at 10:38 AM

How many times has Philly serenaded Chipper Jones with “Laaaaaaarrrrryyyyy, Laaaaarrrrry”, only to hit the game-winning double? Too many times :(

8. marshmallowsnake - Mar 8, 2011 at 12:11 PM

True story…I was at Fenway park in the 90’s and the BoSox were playing the ChiSox…I was young (19!) and sitting near home plate…and up came Ron Karkovice (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/k/karkoro01.shtml), with the bases load…batting all of .196. The Date was April 30, 1995…

Well, as the story goes, I decided to tell Ron that he was not a great player, as any annoying teen-aged Red Sox fan would do…and Ron responded by hitting a grand slam over the green monster. I cheered for him out of humiliation as he rounded the bases. The game was a blowout, but was the first start for James Baldwin and Frankie Rodriguez.

Needless to say, I have not taunted a player since then.

(http://articles.philly.com/1995-05-01/sports/25672265_1_white-sox-grand-slam-ventura-and-harold-baines)

• marshmallowsnake - Mar 8, 2011 at 12:12 PM

^^That should read bases loaded…editing fail!

• marshmallowsnake - Mar 8, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Really? A thumbs down? Wow…

• cur68 - Mar 8, 2011 at 1:18 PM

That thumb thing really annoys me. Bunch of passive aggressive crap. Yeah, go ahead! Bring the thumbs! I don’t care ’cause I’m tougher than salisbury steak, so there, nyahhhhhh!

9. marshmallowsnake - Mar 8, 2011 at 1:56 PM

People love to hide behind the internet…at least have the guts to say why you gave a thumbs down or why you disagree.

• Joe - Mar 8, 2011 at 3:07 PM

I gave you a thumbs down to help desensitize you to getting a thumbs down. Mine is meaningless, really. Perhaps others are as well.

• marshmallowsnake - Mar 8, 2011 at 4:35 PM

LOL! That gives you a point in my book! Well done.

10. frankvzappa - Mar 8, 2011 at 2:32 PM

Scoreboard! Scoreboard!

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2849)