Mar 8, 2011, 9:26 AM EST
Bryce Harper is still a work in progress. He should spend the whole season in the minors and likely will barring some gimmick callup at the end of the year to goose attendance. But even if he needs to work on messing with ungodly major league offspeed stuff, he already knows how to quiet the haters:
With Harper at the plate, one fan in the stands yelled, “Overrated, overrated.” On the next pitch from reliever Jorge De Leon, Harper doubled near the right-field line, scoring Matt Stairs and Alex Cora.
Harper acknowledged that he heard the heckling from the fan.
Not that this sort of behavior is limited to phenoms like Harper. When I was in Phoenix last week watching the A’s vs. the Indians, Chad Huffman came to bat for the Tribe. One of the many mouthy A’s fans sitting near the press box yelled “Who the hell is that? You’ll be in Columbus all year, Chaddy!” Huffman then proceeded to hit a double off the wall.
I love it when that stuff happens.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 38
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 154
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (156)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)