Mar 8, 2011, 9:26 AM EDT
Bryce Harper is still a work in progress. He should spend the whole season in the minors and likely will barring some gimmick callup at the end of the year to goose attendance. But even if he needs to work on messing with ungodly major league offspeed stuff, he already knows how to quiet the haters:
With Harper at the plate, one fan in the stands yelled, “Overrated, overrated.” On the next pitch from reliever Jorge De Leon, Harper doubled near the right-field line, scoring Matt Stairs and Alex Cora.
Harper acknowledged that he heard the heckling from the fan.
Not that this sort of behavior is limited to phenoms like Harper. When I was in Phoenix last week watching the A’s vs. the Indians, Chad Huffman came to bat for the Tribe. One of the many mouthy A’s fans sitting near the press box yelled “Who the hell is that? You’ll be in Columbus all year, Chaddy!” Huffman then proceeded to hit a double off the wall.
I love it when that stuff happens.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 125
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 18
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 46
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 48
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 353
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (196)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)