Mar 8, 2011, 9:26 AM EST
Bryce Harper is still a work in progress. He should spend the whole season in the minors and likely will barring some gimmick callup at the end of the year to goose attendance. But even if he needs to work on messing with ungodly major league offspeed stuff, he already knows how to quiet the haters:
With Harper at the plate, one fan in the stands yelled, “Overrated, overrated.” On the next pitch from reliever Jorge De Leon, Harper doubled near the right-field line, scoring Matt Stairs and Alex Cora.
Harper acknowledged that he heard the heckling from the fan.
Not that this sort of behavior is limited to phenoms like Harper. When I was in Phoenix last week watching the A’s vs. the Indians, Chad Huffman came to bat for the Tribe. One of the many mouthy A’s fans sitting near the press box yelled “Who the hell is that? You’ll be in Columbus all year, Chaddy!” Huffman then proceeded to hit a double off the wall.
I love it when that stuff happens.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 25
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 80
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 14
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 143
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)