Mar 8, 2011, 5:17 PM EDT
In addition to avoiding any post-concussion symptoms Beckett also told Gordon Edes of ESPNBoston.com that his back problems have improved after limiting him to just 21 starts last season:
I feel different walking around. More stability than anything. It’s not like it feels stronger, but more stable. Balanced is a good word for it. Balance is huge in pitching. It keeps me healthy.
Obviously getting healthy is key for Beckett, but even setting aside the injury issues his 116/46 K/BB ratio in 128 innings last season suggested he pitched much better than the ugly 5.78 ERA would indicate. Based on his strikeout, walk, and ground-ball numbers Beckett posted a solid 4.01 xFIP.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 0
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 46
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 6
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 19
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 42