Mar 8, 2011, 12:48 PM EST
Kendry Morales‘ uncertain status as he comes back from the broken leg that ended his 2010 season after 51 games has potentially opened the door for a minor leaguer to grab a roster spot and perhaps even a prominent early season role for the Angels.
Trumbo has just 16 at-bats in the majors, all of which came last September, but he tied for the minor-league lead with 36 homers at Triple-A last season while hitting .301 with a .945 OPS and Pacific Coast League-leading 122 RBIs.
Those numbers were significantly better than Trumbo’s previous production and the combination of a high strikeout rate and mediocre plate discipline make him far from a sure thing to succeed at age 25, but his power potential is tough to ignore when he’s smacking bombs off the batters’ eye in center field or into the parking lot every other day.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 76
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)