News you can use: Top 10 beers available at Major League ballparks

Mar 8, 2011, 1:30 PM EDT

Anchor Steam

Rob Iracane has a print-and-save article for you over at Big League Stew: “The top 10 brews available at MLB parks.”

Warning: he hates on Natty Boh and other local beers with a long history but with a bad taste.  Which is exactly what he should do because we’re in this for the beer, not the nostalgia. But that sort of thing can be jarring to some, so I offer the warning.  He makes an exception for Iron City in Pittsburgh. I’m not sure I agree with that exception, but he makes his case based on pragmatism, not some amorphous local flavor angle.

Overall it’s a pale ale-heavy list. That also makes sense because pale ale is the nectar of the gods, but I have a confession to make: when I’m at a ballgame, I tend to prefer something a tad thinner. Not watery — indeed, I only go for the macrobrews if forced — but I usually hit weekend day games when I go to major league parks, and summer ales and stuff like that tend to do better for me in the hot sun of a July afternoon.

Enjoy.

1. BC - Mar 8, 2011 at 1:43 PM

He left Yuengling off the list? This guy has no taste!

• heyblueyoustink - Mar 8, 2011 at 1:56 PM

Only if you’re talking their Black and Tan……

• Utley's Hair - Mar 8, 2011 at 2:12 PM

Okay, for this, I’m thinking you’ll be called stink.

Yuengling kicks a$$, Black and Tan or otherwise, man!!!!! Though the way this list was compiled, he wasn’t going for beer, per se, but more for ales. That said, the name of the list should have reflected that, and not just included all beer.

• BC - Mar 8, 2011 at 4:10 PM

I like the Porter the best, but even the straight-up Lager is tasty.
        If only they’d ship to Connecticut.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 8, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Lord Chesterfield Ale is pretty tasty, also.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 8, 2011 at 1:59 PM

F#$%ing heathen!!!!!!!! This is heresy!!!!!!!!!

• heyblueyoustink - Mar 8, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Hey……i’m as local as anyone here my hair proficient friend……and Lager is not a bad brew brother, don’t get me wrong, I’ve buried many a case into my liver, but on the list on the best? Nah, not buying it…….Love me some Black and Tan, but I personally pass on the Lager if I have other choices

• Utley's Hair - Mar 8, 2011 at 2:30 PM

Well, being totally honest, I tend to stay away from the brews at the Bank. The tickets, parking and carb/cholesterol fest tend to tap the wallet enough without expending the extra cash for beer—though not always.

• Kevin S. - Mar 8, 2011 at 9:17 PM

Really? I’m fond of a number of things at the Bank (if not the dudes in red pinstripes), but the brews are probably at the top of the list. They’ve got three of the ones named here, and the prices aren’t too outrageous for stadium suds.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 8, 2011 at 10:07 PM

Well, I actually should have left out “the” there. I tend to stay away from brews in general at stadiums—most of the time, not always. I just have a problem paying stadium prices for them. I guess I’m just cheap, or I wasn’t exactly well off financially growing up. I do partake periodically, though.

2. mattjg - Mar 8, 2011 at 1:49 PM

A lot of Pittsburghers seem to like Penn Pilsner, but the best beer at PNC has to be Augustiner. It’s brewed by IC, but it tastes like beer instead of watered down dregs.

3. marshmallowsnake - Mar 8, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Speaking of beer…did you make it to Papago Brewing while you were in the Phoenix area? If not, next time you need to.

4. Jonny 5 - Mar 8, 2011 at 2:01 PM

Baltimore wins!!!

5. ahealthyscratch - Mar 8, 2011 at 2:03 PM

I am a Philly guy, and I probably would have put Hop Devil from the wonderful Victory Brewing in Downingtown, PA over Flying Fish. The only good Flying Fish is their Exit series.

Also, my friends and I went on a Natty Boh kick in college. Turns out, that stuff sucks.

• mattjg - Mar 8, 2011 at 2:12 PM

Hop Devil is my top choice too. I’d also put Yards Pale Ale over Flying Fish.

• Jonny 5 - Mar 8, 2011 at 2:16 PM

yup! As a matter of fact, given a good day I could come up with a list of local beer I like better than Flying fish. Even Yuengling Porter would rate higher imo.

I’m a sucker for Bass Pale Ale myself.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 8, 2011 at 2:22 PM

If only I could find Dock Street….

• Jonny 5 - Mar 8, 2011 at 3:05 PM

I’d bet you live pretty close to Dock Street.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 8, 2011 at 3:18 PM

Nope—I live outside the city. But Dock Street is(/was? :( ) mighty tasty.

• ahealthyscratch - Mar 8, 2011 at 6:17 PM

Yeah, I forgot about the Yards Pale Ale. That is perfect for a hot day at the park because it is pretty low in alcohol. Every once in awhile at the Bank you can find this Sly Fox beer called Royal Weisse. It’s a great ballpark beer.

• dalvo4 - Mar 8, 2011 at 2:49 PM

Natty Boh is the best “light” beer out there and is far tastier than any bud light, natural light, or PBR you are going to drink. I only wish it was on tap during my college days in Baltimore and Camden yards. At $10 a case you simply cant beat the price. Yes it is a light beer- but very tasty and crisp when cold.

I used to sneak about 4 or 5 cans in every game at Camden since they dont search you- although I was thrown out once when I got caught by an Usher. We were brought down a back elevator and the Cops just laughed at us because we were talking about how much we loved Natty Boh. Also just read the linked article about Natty Boh: “the company had to approve an emergency shipment of 600 extra kegs this week just to satisfy those 80 locations” so apprently it is still going strong. I always come home with 10 cases whenever I make a trip to baltimore since you cannot get it anywhere. Next time maybe I can buy a keg..

• dalvo4 - Mar 8, 2011 at 2:53 PM

Also by far the best “mascot” of any beer, and you have to love the natty boh signs still up throughout baltimore. http://nationalbohemian.com/

“Oh boy what a beer”

• Kevin S. - Mar 8, 2011 at 9:25 PM

Sam Adams Light >>>>> any other light beer.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 8, 2011 at 10:10 PM

Got that right, though Yuengling Light is pretty good, too.

• dexterismyhero - Mar 8, 2011 at 3:35 PM

Whatever happened to Baseball & Ballantine beer? I loved that commercial when I lived in Lower Buck County. Cornwells Heights actually.

Still a Bud Man though.

6. cur68 - Mar 8, 2011 at 2:19 PM

African Amber, all the way, man. You can trust me on it, I tested this one scientifically. I discovered that the best brew for sitting in the hot hot sun was Victoria Bitter closely followed by Red Stripe. This was in Melbourne and I was at cricket matches but the cross over should count as 5 days baking in the hot sun really tests a beers ability to satisfy you and replace necessary electrolytes. Mac & Jacks African Amber @ Safeco Field is the closest to a Red Stripe I’ve found.

7. megary - Mar 8, 2011 at 2:33 PM

A link about beer. And just how is this not a “must click” link? Explain yourself!

8. pauleee - Mar 8, 2011 at 3:19 PM

There’s not a spectacular choice of beers on tap at Angel Stadium, but my go-to at the ballgame is Firestone DBA. Never had it outside the stadium, but if I’m going to spend 8 bucks a shot anyway, that’s what I’m drinking.

9. micker716 - Mar 8, 2011 at 3:29 PM

Stone IPA, Petco Park, San Diego
    Completely agree.

10. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Mar 8, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Old Style Light is the best beer in the world!

• PanchoHerreraFanClub - Mar 8, 2011 at 4:48 PM

… and the Cubs are the best team in baseball because they drink it.

• Kevin S. - Mar 8, 2011 at 9:28 PM

Sad but true fact – Old Style costs more at Wrigley Field than Heineken.

11. nixonotis - Mar 9, 2011 at 1:01 AM

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is absolutely fabulous. If only Yankee Stadium would serve some decent brew instead of $9 dollar PBR and $12 Stella Artois.

• marshmallowsnake - Mar 9, 2011 at 5:09 PM

No wonder the Yankees can afford those expensive payrolls!

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3981)