Mar 8, 2011, 4:46 PM EDT
In fact, T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com writes today that the Rangers “clearly aren’t planning on him being ready for Opening Day.”
That news comes before Webb has even faced his first live hitters of the spring, which he’s scheduled to do during a batting practice session tomorrow.
He last started a big-league game on Opening Day of 2009, missing essentially two entire seasons with shoulder problems while being paid $15 million by Arizona. Texas’ investment was $3 million upfront with a bunch of incentives and Sullivan reports that the Rangers are still hoping he can join the rotation at some point in April.
Webb isn’t ready, Scott Feldman is even further behind in his recovery from knee surgery, and Feliz appears destined to remain in the bullpen, so right now Derek Holland, Tommy Hunter, and Matt Harrison look likely to join C.J. Wilson and Colby Lewis in the rotation.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)