Mar 8, 2011, 4:46 PM EDT
In fact, T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com writes today that the Rangers “clearly aren’t planning on him being ready for Opening Day.”
That news comes before Webb has even faced his first live hitters of the spring, which he’s scheduled to do during a batting practice session tomorrow.
He last started a big-league game on Opening Day of 2009, missing essentially two entire seasons with shoulder problems while being paid $15 million by Arizona. Texas’ investment was $3 million upfront with a bunch of incentives and Sullivan reports that the Rangers are still hoping he can join the rotation at some point in April.
Webb isn’t ready, Scott Feldman is even further behind in his recovery from knee surgery, and Feliz appears destined to remain in the bullpen, so right now Derek Holland, Tommy Hunter, and Matt Harrison look likely to join C.J. Wilson and Colby Lewis in the rotation.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 32
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 42
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 23
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 140
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 139
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (141)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (140)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)