Mar 8, 2011, 4:46 PM EST
In fact, T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com writes today that the Rangers “clearly aren’t planning on him being ready for Opening Day.”
That news comes before Webb has even faced his first live hitters of the spring, which he’s scheduled to do during a batting practice session tomorrow.
He last started a big-league game on Opening Day of 2009, missing essentially two entire seasons with shoulder problems while being paid $15 million by Arizona. Texas’ investment was $3 million upfront with a bunch of incentives and Sullivan reports that the Rangers are still hoping he can join the rotation at some point in April.
Webb isn’t ready, Scott Feldman is even further behind in his recovery from knee surgery, and Feliz appears destined to remain in the bullpen, so right now Derek Holland, Tommy Hunter, and Matt Harrison look likely to join C.J. Wilson and Colby Lewis in the rotation.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 20
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 75
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 45
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 141
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)