Mar 8, 2011, 3:15 PM EST
My uncle and cousin spent the past week in Arizona checking out a bunch of spring training games–they didn’t arrive until after Craig had gone home, just to be safe–and sent me a slew of text messages while watching Indians prospect Drew Pomeranz pitch Sunday.
My uncle, a high school baseball coach, and my cousin, a high school pitcher, both said Pomeranz was the most impressive young pitcher they saw, which isn’t surprising for the No. 5 overall pick in last June’s draft.
They raved about his “devastating” fastball-curveball combination–which Jordan Bastian of MLB.com wrote a good article about today–and wondered if the 6-foot-5 left-hander might make it to the majors this season, which is probably a stretch considering he’s 22 years old and hasn’t even officially made his pro debut after signing too late to join a minor-league team last year.
Bastian writes that Pomeranz is likely to begin the season at Single-A and “could be fitted for an Indians uniform as early as 2012.” In addition to various members of my family, Indians manager Manny Acta has also been very impressed with Pomeranz early in camp, telling Bastian: “When you’re that talented you can make it look that easy. He’s got a very nice arm and he’s effortless. That ball just sneaks up on hitters.”
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)