Your obligatory Oliver Perez update

Mar 8, 2011, 3:02 PM EDT

New York Mets Workout Sessions Getty Images

There are so many good players in Major League Baseball.  Why, then, I focus so much on one of the worst ones is beyond me. But I do, probably because of that contract.

Anyway, here’s Oliver Perez‘s line against the Astros today: three innings, three earned runs — all in the first inning — four hits, two walks, one strikeout. He threw 47 pitches, 28 for strikes.

There’s really nothing good to latch onto there. I’d release him. Adam Rubin thinks it was his last start, even if Perez himself was happy that his velocity was a bit better than it was for his last couple of starts.  At this point, though, you gotta do the guy the courtesy of having time to try and latch on in another camp, don’t you?

1. BC - Mar 8, 2011 at 3:32 PM

OK, that’s better. An ERA of 9 for the day. All is back to normal….

• uyf1950 - Mar 8, 2011 at 4:08 PM

My friend, may be the Mets might be interested in either Garcia or Colon whichever one of them the Yankees cut towards the end of spring training?
      At this point either of them looks like a better alternative than Perez and they are a lot cheaper.

2. jamie54 - Mar 8, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Gee, with a line like that he surely deserves a three year, $36 million deal. So can I be Mets GM at $4-5 million/year?

3. aronmantoo - Mar 8, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Ollie should have been cut at the end of last season. All this does by having him around is upset the fan base

4. rapmusicmademedoit - Mar 8, 2011 at 6:45 PM

I have a strange felling Ollie is packing his bags and coming North.

Bernie Madoff,

5. Davidw7 - Mar 9, 2011 at 9:56 AM

Naturally, I think the best place for him is in the Minors to refocus and ‘tweak’ his approach to things, but we know he doesn’t see the minors as a viable option for himself.

He is not (or shouldn’t anyway) break camp with Mets be it as a starter or a lefty out of the pen. Him and the Mets need to just close this chapter.

Three legends off to Cooperstown