Zack Greinke to miss start of season with fractured rib

Mar 8, 2011, 6:13 PM EDT

Brewers-Getting Greinke

Awful news out of Brewers’ camp this afternoon.

According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, Zack Greinke will miss the start of the season with a fractured rib.

You may remember that Greinke had his initial bullpen session this spring pushed back by a ribcage contusion, which he said at the time was the result of an off the field incident. Today he admitted that he suffered the injury while going up for a rebound playing basketball.

According to Rosenthal, a recent MRI on the ribcage area revealed one bruised rib and one hairline fracture. The bone will take 4-6 weeks to heal, which puts him on pace to miss at least the first couple weeks of the season. This might prove to be a very minor issue, but Greinke’s tenure in Milwaukee is off to a very dubious start.

1. cur68 - Mar 8, 2011 at 6:17 PM

Holy crap, who was fouling him, Kevin Garnett? Who ever it was, he owes the Brewers some dough.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 8, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Sabathia.

• cur68 - Mar 8, 2011 at 6:22 PM

Damn. Wish I’d said Sabbathia instead of KG now. Well, CC better break out the check book.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 8, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Actually, David Eckstein is scrappy enough to have done it, too.

• cur68 - Mar 8, 2011 at 6:30 PM

Whoa, not sure I understand the whole nomenclature here but did you just lump CC in there with the term ‘scrappy’ or is the term only meant to imply Eckstein? See I’m not sure if should be offended or not and I’m trying to pass as knowledgeable about the ins and outs of epithets.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 8, 2011 at 6:37 PM

Well, Eckstein is about as tall as one of the Lollipop Guild and CC is about as tall as one of those trees in Lord of the Rings. David would need to be scrappy to be able to pull it off.

And I’ve never heard Sabbathia referred to as scrappy.

• cur68 - Mar 8, 2011 at 6:39 PM

OMG! This is my big chance! Ahem…That CC Sabbathia, he’s a ballplayer, ayup. Damn scrappy. See the way he fouled Grenike? Really scrappy, like Eckstein scrappy. Ayup.
        There. Did I pass?

• Utley's Hair - Mar 8, 2011 at 6:57 PM

That kind of sounds like Tim McCarver on a basketball game.

• cur68 - Mar 8, 2011 at 7:03 PM

Woooo! #Winning! I passed, I passed! First time ever! :)

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Mar 8, 2011 at 9:51 PM

CC isn’t scrappy, he’s athletic.

• cur68 - Mar 9, 2011 at 2:05 AM

I’m on a new mission; from now on Sabathia is scrappy. Real gamer. A ballplayer. Mentally tough. Or something.

2. mordecofe - Mar 8, 2011 at 6:22 PM

I thought this the last time you used this pic, and still again – that is John Elway. Or do white people all look alike?

• Utley's Hair - Mar 8, 2011 at 6:25 PM

I see this photo, and expect to see Wilford Brimley in the background.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 8, 2011 at 10:34 PM

Oh, come on, people!!! Wilford Brimley? Pop Fisher? Roy Hobbs? The Natural? Damn….

• cur68 - Mar 8, 2011 at 6:25 PM

Y’know, I wondered about this shot too, till I realized why it gets so much milage. Its cause Zack’s smiling in it. I bet you’d have a hard time finding another shot with that dude doing anything but the old stone face.

3. Ari Collins - Mar 8, 2011 at 6:42 PM

I hope it’s only a couple weeks. I’d really like to see the Brewers contend. They’ve put together a fun roster this year.

4. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Mar 8, 2011 at 9:52 PM

How did Zach get a friend to play with? Maybe he tripped and landed on his ‘My Buddy.”

5. saints97 - Mar 8, 2011 at 11:05 PM

Now Gomes’ song can have a second verse!

6. BC - Mar 9, 2011 at 8:59 AM

Chipwich.

7. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Mar 9, 2011 at 10:14 AM

If this stuff keeps up, the Cubs might actually have a chance.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (4034)