Mar 9, 2011, 11:03 AM EST
Unlike the Donald Trumps of the world, this seems plausible:
Paul Danforth, a former Mets executive who now holds a senior post at CAA Sports, the fast-growing sports division of the Creative Artists Agency of Hollywood, is a lead investor in a group seeking to buy a share of the Mets, according to a person who was briefed on the group’s interest.
He’s affiliated with his father-in-law who happens to be a retired investment banker. The Times reports that at least three other groups have applied to Major League Baseball to see the Mets’ financial statements. All of them are some fun mix of investment banking types, Wall Street types or entrepreneurs.
Danforth may be more serious than others. He worked for the Mets for 13 years in sales and his father-in-law has banking relationships with the Wilpons going back a decade or more. If the Wilpons are going to get someone to buy a minority share and nothing more, it may be more likely to be a friend. At the same time, if they do find it necessary to bake in some sort of option to take over into a minority sale, it may likewise be preferable for them to do so with a friend.
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 18
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 30
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 81
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 29
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 97
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)