Mar 9, 2011, 2:40 PM EST
Charlie Manuel and the Phillies are “close to agreeing on a contract extension” that Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com reports will be worth “between $3.5 million and $4 million per season” for two years.
Manuel is already under contract for $2.4 million this season, so a two-year extension would keep the 67-year-old managing the Phillies through 2013.
Salisbury notes that “negotiations have ebbed and flowed for weeks” and speculates that an official announcement could come within the next few days.
In seven seasons under Manuel the Phillies are 544-428 (.560) with four straight NL East championships, two NL pennants, and a World Series title in 2008. Toss in his three-year stint as Indians manager and Manuel’s career .553 winning percentage is the 20th-highest in MLB history among all managers with at least 1,200 games.
Not bad for a guy the Indians fired midway through his third year after back-to-back 90-win seasons. Cleveland hasn’t had back-to-back winning seasons since and has topped 90 wins just twice in eight post-Manuel years.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 25
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 87
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 14
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 144
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)