Charlie Manuel close to two-year extension with Phillies

Mar 9, 2011, 2:40 PM EDT

Charlie Manuel

Charlie Manuel and the Phillies are “close to agreeing on a contract extension” that Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com reports will be worth “between $3.5 million and $4 million per season” for two years.

Manuel is already under contract for $2.4 million this season, so a two-year extension would keep the 67-year-old managing the Phillies through 2013.

Salisbury notes that “negotiations have ebbed and flowed for weeks” and speculates that an official announcement could come within the next few days.

In seven seasons under Manuel the Phillies are 544-428 (.560) with four straight NL East championships, two NL pennants, and a World Series title in 2008. Toss in his three-year stint as Indians manager and Manuel’s career .553 winning percentage is the 20th-highest in MLB history among all managers with at least 1,200 games.

Not bad for a guy the Indians fired midway through his third year after back-to-back 90-win seasons. Cleveland hasn’t had back-to-back winning seasons since and has topped 90 wins just twice in eight post-Manuel years.

1. b7p19 - Mar 9, 2011 at 2:46 PM

I can’t help but wonder what he will look like and sound like another two years from now.

• rapmusicmademedoit - Mar 9, 2011 at 6:58 PM

I cant understand him half the time but I love to hear him talk to the press. The man is a winner, he had Manny in the minors and the bigs, I know Manny was born with a wicked bat but this man is scary with his hitters.I hate the Filthy-delphia Filthies but I love Charlie, especially with gum in his mouth.

2. kellyb9 - Mar 9, 2011 at 3:12 PM

How could you not like this guy? He’s never said anything bad about anyone, or at least if he did, I didn’t understand it.

• b7p19 - Mar 9, 2011 at 3:49 PM

Who said they didn’t like the guy? Or was that some kind of hypothetical, retorical mind game?

• Utley's Hair - Mar 9, 2011 at 4:06 PM

kellyb9 wins round one.

• BC - Mar 9, 2011 at 4:18 PM

The talks like Boomhauer from “King of the Hill”, but he seems kind of likeable to me, even as a Met fan.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3859)