Chipper Jones on the Luis Salazar incident: “I wish I wouldn’t have looked”

Mar 9, 2011, 5:04 PM EDT

Dave O’Brien talked to Chipper Jones, who was standing on first base when Braves’ minor league manager Luis Salazar was hit by that foul ball earlier today. We already know that Salazar’s injuries are serious, but it was feared to be even worse as it happened:

I just … I wish I wouldn’t have looked. But I did. It was just hard to put into words. You don’t see it every day. I’ve seen it one other time in my career, where a guy took a 90-mph pitch square in the nose, Danny Bautista in Atlanta in, like, 1996. I thought that was the worst on-field injury that I’d ever seen, until today … I’m so glad to hear that he’s conscious and breathing on his own. But, yeah, there were some times where there were some worried looks on the some paramedics’ faces.

As reported earlier, Salazar has multiple facial fractures. Given that he was unconscious for 20 minutes, he likely suffered a concussion at the very least.  An eye surgeon has been called in.

This is probably the worst incident of its kind involving on-field personnel since the Mike Coolbaugh tragedy.

1. jamie54 - Mar 9, 2011 at 6:43 PM

Our prayers go out to Luis and his family, he’s a good man. Played many years in SD.

• Andrew - Mar 9, 2011 at 7:06 PM

Why the hell did someone -1 that?

• cur68 - Mar 9, 2011 at 7:32 PM

Dunno. Some people are randomly cowardly like that. Internet tough guys and the like.

2. BC - Mar 9, 2011 at 8:52 PM

That had to be gruesome. The news reports I’ve seen have substantiated that. Hopefully the guy makes it back 100%.

3. BC - Mar 9, 2011 at 8:58 PM

I was just thinking… about 10 or 12 years ago, a young pitcher for the Red Sox whose name escapes me got hit in the face with a line drive. Suffered a fractured eye socket, broken cheekbone and broken jaw. He came back the following year to pitch a few games, but his career was basically ended. He was a pool of blood when they carted him off the field. What happened to Salazar sounds worse. Hope the guy makes it back.

• Old Gator - Mar 9, 2011 at 10:07 PM

When he played for the Feesh, Craig Counsell once got hit in the face by a fastball. He was bleeding like a pig but still tried to stumble down to first base. The trainer was so freaked out that he was still standing, much less trying to take his base, that he just stood there for a moment with his mouth hanging open. Tough guy, that Craig. I don’t know that I’d want him as a utility infielder, but I might vote for him for President.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 10, 2011 at 12:18 AM

Or union chief.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 10, 2011 at 12:41 AM

Juan Encarnacion in 2007 ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_Encarnaci%C3%B3n )? Tony Conigliaro also in 1967 ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Conigliaro ).

• Utley's Hair - Mar 10, 2011 at 1:02 AM

Or I could actually answer your question correctly, but where’s the fun in that?

Bryce Florie ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryce_Florie ).

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto