Mar 9, 2011, 12:02 PM EST
Hank Schulman has a feature story today about Cody Ross catapulting into fame last fall on the power of postseason heroics. He compares this to the legacies of Dusty Rhodes, Al Weis, Buddy Biancalana, Brian Doyle and … Mark Lemke:
Lemke might be the most famous member of the fraternity, at least in this era. The slick fielder hit .234 in 1991, then went nuts in the World Series against Minnesota. After hitting two triples in the regular season, he tied a Series record with three against the Twins and hit .417.
Lemke stamped his reputation as a great postseason hitter. Though that was not always true, he did hit .272 over five postseasons while finishing an 11-year major-league career with a .246 average.
Those postseason heroics always made casual Braves fans — which, by definition, is most Braves fans — think a bit too highly of Lemke’s bat and left ‘em hoping he’d do something greater. I imagine the same will happen to Cody Ross. He’s a nice player, but he’s not hit-homers-off-Roy-Halladay-at-will kind of guy. Serious fans know this, but the people who jumped on the bandwagon during the playoffs will probably always wonder why Ross isn’t an MVP or something.
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 142
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 66
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 42
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (142)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)