Mar 9, 2011, 12:02 PM EDT
Hank Schulman has a feature story today about Cody Ross catapulting into fame last fall on the power of postseason heroics. He compares this to the legacies of Dusty Rhodes, Al Weis, Buddy Biancalana, Brian Doyle and … Mark Lemke:
Lemke might be the most famous member of the fraternity, at least in this era. The slick fielder hit .234 in 1991, then went nuts in the World Series against Minnesota. After hitting two triples in the regular season, he tied a Series record with three against the Twins and hit .417.
Lemke stamped his reputation as a great postseason hitter. Though that was not always true, he did hit .272 over five postseasons while finishing an 11-year major-league career with a .246 average.
Those postseason heroics always made casual Braves fans — which, by definition, is most Braves fans — think a bit too highly of Lemke’s bat and left ‘em hoping he’d do something greater. I imagine the same will happen to Cody Ross. He’s a nice player, but he’s not hit-homers-off-Roy-Halladay-at-will kind of guy. Serious fans know this, but the people who jumped on the bandwagon during the playoffs will probably always wonder why Ross isn’t an MVP or something.
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 0
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 9
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 139
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 101
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (139)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)