UPDATE: The Yankees did not offer Aroldis Chapman $54 million

Mar 9, 2011, 11:12 AM EDT

Aroldis Chapman

UPDATE: As I suspected, the Yankees deny that they ever offered Chapman a thing. Olney quotes Brian Cashman: “We never made an offer… Never.”

6:16 AMThis tweet from SI’s Melissa Segura is interesting:

The FL lawsuit v. Hendricks/Fernandez says Yankees made “offer to Chapman valued at more than $54 million” Chap signed 6yr/$30.25 mil w Reds

The only lawsuit of which I was aware against the Hendricks Brothers regarding Aroldis Chapman was the one filed by Chapman’s original agent, Edwin Mejia and his agency Athletes Premier International alleging, basically, that the Hendricks stole Chapman as a client.  That was filed in Massachusetts, however, and as far as I know had been settled.

It’s possible that this is an offshoot of that first suit. The actual nominal agent of Chapman was Rodney Fernandez, the Fernandez referenced in the Segura tweet.  He was the Hendricks employee who was just charged with stealing money from Kendry Morales. He lives in Florida, so he could have been sued there in his individual capacity.

But regardless of the specific nature of the suit, I’m skeptical of that $54 million offer from the Yankees. It’s substantially higher than that which Chapman ultimately signed for and it makes little sense that he’d leave that kind of money on the table no matter who his agent was.  At the same time, in any lawsuit against Hendricks/Fernandez involving representation of Chapman an incentive exists to make the money Chapman could have received,were it not for the Hendricks’ bad acts, seem as high as possible, because the plaintiff is looking for a chunk of the deal.

I suspect we’ll hear more of this soon. It would not surprise me at all if the next thing we hear is a denial from someone with knowledge of the Yankees’ operations that there ever was a real offer for Chapman as high as $54 million and that — shockingly — a plaintiff in a lawsuit is overstating the amount of his losses in his complaint.

1. Ari Collins - Mar 9, 2011 at 7:37 AM

This is when it’s good to have a lawyer on your blogging team.

2. redheadedbastard - Mar 9, 2011 at 7:44 AM

• Craig Calcaterra - Mar 9, 2011 at 7:51 AM

No. This would likely be his old agent suing his new agent.

• Jason @ IIATMS - Mar 9, 2011 at 7:52 AM

Next time, actually READ what Craig wrote. Yanks ain’t suing anyone for not signing. That’s absurd on a level we have yet to visit, well, except you.

• redheadedbastard - Mar 9, 2011 at 1:53 PM

damn i suck.

• djpostl - Mar 9, 2011 at 1:54 PM

“Whoa whoa whoa! So the Yankees made a substanial offer to Aroldis, didn’t sign him, and are now suing his agent? My guess is that they will soon sue Cliff Lee’s agent or Zack Greinke for having Social Phobia. Poor Yankees, they can’t ever get a break.”

I cannot figure out how is the bigger retard, this moron who can’t read or the 9 people who blindly “liked” it, confirming that they too are window licking, shortbus riding tools.

• redheadedbastard - Mar 9, 2011 at 2:02 PM

I cannot figure out “how” is the bigger retard, this moron who can’t read or the 9 people who blindly “liked” it, confirming that they too are window licking, shortbus riding tools.

Well it is down to you or me. Here’s the deal:
        1. I didn’t read the article correclty and made a mistake. I apologize for that mistake.
        OR
        2. You for not proof reading your comment.

Read your posts before you hit “Post Commnet.”

• djpostl - Mar 9, 2011 at 2:07 PM

You’re right. One typo versus a complete lack reading comprehension are on the same level. Oh wait, no they aren’t. Now go back to licking, you missed a spot or two.

3. Kevin S. - Mar 9, 2011 at 7:44 AM

How would this even logically follow? The agent receives the Yanks $54 million offer and then, assuming a 5% commission and equal contract lengths, tells Cincy he’ll deliver Chapman for significantly less, but then they have to kick him back the $1.2 million in foregone commission plus some rather large amount for committing such an egregious ethical transgression? I can’t see that.

• BC - Mar 9, 2011 at 9:06 AM

I can see it. Something doesn’t smell right at all here.

4. lardin - Mar 9, 2011 at 9:03 AM

The only reason the Yankees would be suing his agent is if the agent did not tell Chapman about the offer for what ever reason. Correct me if Im wrong Craig, but doesnt the agent have to tell his client about any and all offers he may receive and then let the client decide where he wants to go play? For all we know, the agent could have had a grudge against the Yankees at that time and never told him about the offer…

• Craig Calcaterra - Mar 9, 2011 at 9:05 AM

The Yankees aren’t suing Chapman’s agent. REPEAT: the Yankees aren’t suing Chapman’s agent.

But yes, an agent has an obligation to tell him of all offers. My guess is that there was no $54 million offer for Chapman from the Yankees and that this is merely lawsuit puffery.

• heynerdlinger - Mar 9, 2011 at 9:33 AM

Do you really think the Yankees are going to win this law suit? It seems like the Yankees have a better case suing Chapman himself than by suing the agent. Or are you suggesting that the Yankees will file a lawsuit against Chapman, too?

• BC - Mar 9, 2011 at 10:03 AM

Old agent sues new agent. Yankees sue old agent. New agent sues Yankees. Yankees sue Major League Baseball. The Reds, feeling left out, sue themselves.
        This whole thing is dgdfozxiughdfghzdzofhsrdhjjzdgfjkm.

5. snowbirdgothic - Mar 9, 2011 at 9:14 AM

Wait. I thought the Yankees were going to sue his agent, then the Phillies jumped in at the last minute and sued his agent for substantially less money.

• Jason @ IIATMS - Mar 9, 2011 at 9:58 AM

(stands up, applauding)

• dexterismyhero - Mar 9, 2011 at 11:04 AM

Outstanding……Did the Phillies win thier suit? :)

6. uyf1950 - Mar 9, 2011 at 9:15 AM

Who would have ever imagined another story about the Yankees and a pitcher. Color me surprised.

7. Jonny 5 - Mar 9, 2011 at 9:24 AM

LOL!!

Anyway, I have felt that this contract seemed fishy from the beginning. Why would Chapman sign a 6 year contract anyway at 5 million per? In 3 seasons this guy should be worth well over 5 million per. I just don’t get it. Doesn’t it seem strange that any agent would recommend to a client that has potential like Chapman does, to sign a 6 year deal at 5 per? In 3 seasons he very well could be worth double that per season, easily.

• heynerdlinger - Mar 9, 2011 at 9:38 AM

It’s also possible that in 3 years this guy isn’t worth a roster spot at the minimum salary either. (c.f. Zumaya, Joel; Chamberlain, Joba)

• Jonny 5 - Mar 9, 2011 at 12:00 PM

Yes, and that still doesn’t make this contract make sense to me.

8. uyf1950 - Mar 9, 2011 at 9:38 AM

Craig, apparently one of two things is happening here. Either your blog on this subject isn’t very clear or some of the posters have trouble comprehending what they read. I’m inclined to think it’s the latter as opposed to the former.

• dexterismyhero - Mar 9, 2011 at 11:06 AM

Is anyone suing Ben Roethlisberger?

Sorry. I was thinking PFT not HBT.

Freaking acronyms!!!!

9. heynerdlinger - Mar 9, 2011 at 9:41 AM

I thought I read somewhere that the Yankees tried to sue the Rangers because they traded for Cliff Lee.

10. cur68 - Mar 9, 2011 at 11:12 AM

Certain things stand out to us here on the West Coast;
    1) someone, not a Yankee, is suing someone else. These 2 someone’s are agents
    2)Certain posters woke up on the cheeky side of the bed and decided to mess with 1
    3)Craig is getting vexed.
    4)Certain other posters are now being messed with as well. They are getting vexed as well
    5)Aroldis Chapman is scrappy.
    6) The Yankee’s lawyers are instinctively lawyerely.

• BC - Mar 9, 2011 at 11:17 AM

But is Chapman a ballplayer? And is he in the best shape of his life?

• cur68 - Mar 9, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Ayup.

• uyf1950 - Mar 9, 2011 at 12:26 PM

BC my friend. What do you think of a Chapman for Perez trade straight up?

• BC - Mar 9, 2011 at 4:45 PM

That would be Nirvana. I’d give up Vodka and worshipping Drew Barrymore for that to happen.
        Someone’s gotta get Chapman away from Dusty Baker before his arm falls off – might as well be the Mets.

• cur68 - Mar 9, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Jeez Laweez BC. You must really hate Ollie. Can’t imagine why…

11. rapmusicmademedoit - Mar 9, 2011 at 7:16 PM

this kid never did anything, why would the Yankees want him, so many Yankee haters, and the Yankees have so many championships, whose the winner I ask , who.

without the Yankees they have to shut down the league, my nephew just said
    ” the yankees are the league”.

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3512)