Mar 9, 2011, 2:58 PM EDT
I’m having a hard time swallowing some of the entries in this Business Insider slideshow about how stadiums may change in the future.
Or should I say in the future!, because so much of it sounds like those flying car/colonies on the moon predictions from the golden days of the space age in that they were simultaneously implausible yet unambitious. I mean, my suburban Ohio gym already has TVs in the bathrooms, so I don’t think that’s a crazy prediction, but I also don’t see why any stadium owner would spring for it outside of the club level. And really, the list is mostly just “put video screens everywhere,” so it’s not that big a deal.
Still, I tried my best to fight through the skepticism. That is, until I got to this one:
No more beer … It would take a lot for teams to suck it up and kiss one of their greatest sources of easy revenue goodbye, but it’s not out of the realm of possibility that something bad enough could happen to force their hands’ and outlaw (or at least severely limit) beer sale at games. Some pro teams have already banned the sale of beer bottles and most college stadiums don’t sell beer at all.
None of us will live to see the day professional sports stadiums stop selling beer. I guarantee you that. In fact, if that ever happens I’ll stop drinking beer myself. And those of you who know me understand just how serious a thing that would be.
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 44
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 53
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 30
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- Ryan Hanigan needs surgery, so the Red Sox will call up prospect Blake Swihart 15
- Royals’ bullpen blows no-hit bid in the eighth inning against the Tigers 7
- Alex Rodriguez hits a pinch-hit home run to tie Willie Mays at 660 home runs 93
- Video: Remembering Rickey Henderson’s record-setting stolen base 31
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (362)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)