Jonny Gomes had a tougher childhood than you

Mar 9, 2011, 1:04 PM EST

Cincinnati Reds Photo Day Getty Images

When I hear the other fathers in the neighborhood talking about how kids have no shot at playing sports at a high level unless they’re on expensive travelling teams and go to specialized camps and clinics, I roll my eyes. Partially because, damn, don’t you hope your kids pick what they want to do with their lives rather than live vicariously through your frustrated athletic dreams? But also because, while those things may make it easier to excel at sports, a privileged upbringing is not a requirement.  Just ask Jonny Gomes:

“I didn’t sleep in a car,’’ Gomes explained. “But if a car had a mailing address, that’s where I was going to get my mail.’’

“You were homeless?’’ I wondered.

“Never more than seven or 10 days,’’ Gomes said. “We’d live in a house two or three months, couldn’t pay rent, we’d get the eviction notice.’’ But friends were generous, as were some of his mother’s patients. “Awesome people took us in,’’ Gomes said.

Good story by Paul Daugherty about the rough road Gomes took to and the good attitude Gomes has about his path to the majors.

1. Utley's Hair - Mar 9, 2011 at 1:18 PM

Dammit, Craig!!!! Now I feel guilty about thinking how much of a slug he is. (But it does somewhat explain why he was crooning to Karate Kid tunes.)

• heyblueyoustink - Mar 9, 2011 at 1:39 PM

Don’t fret Hair, there’s plenty of other slugs out there to target……Nyjer Morgan, Elijiah Dukes, Mr. Met……or you could just pull up an NFL roster, close your eyes, and run your finger down the list stopping wherever you’d like…..

• Utley's Hair - Mar 9, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Mr. Met? I thought he offed himself after the Phanatic slipped it to Mrs. Met a few years back. Conan O’Brien had video of it.

But add Milton Bradley to that list.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Mar 9, 2011 at 2:23 PM

Speaking of the NFL, did anyone see Brady’s awesome dance moves at Carnivale? No, well here ya go:

• cur68 - Mar 9, 2011 at 2:26 PM

He’s very graceful, isn’t he? Natural sense of rhythm, really instinctive, just like his Qb-ing.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 9, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Heyward and Brady, sitting in a tree…

2. phukyouk - Mar 9, 2011 at 2:50 PM

shhhhhhhhhhh…. I can hear Wainwright singing in the distance… oh too soon?

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester