Mar 9, 2011, 7:25 PM EDT
According to Frank Donnelly of the Detroit News, court documents released Wednesday reveal that Cabrera threatened the patrons of a Florida bar before he was detained by a highway patrolman on the night of February 16.
Cabrera entered Cowboys Bar-B-Q & Steak Co after last call and was asked to leave by a manager. He ignored that request, walked over to a table of strangers and told them that he had a gun in the bag that he was carrying. The manager asked him to leave for a second time and Cabrera went off:
“You don’t know me,” Cabrera told the bar’s manager. “I will kill you. I know all of you, and I will kill all of you and blow this place up.”
For what it’s worth, Cabrera was not found to have a gun when he was arrested later that night. He has since enrolled in behavioral counseling and has taken on former Mets outfielder Raul Gonzalez as his sponsor for alcohol addiction treatment, according to FOX Sports’ Jon Paul Morosi.
There might have been a camp of people before that felt Cabrera’s DUI arrest got a bit too much attention from the media this spring, or that the multi-millionaire first baseman didn’t really need to enroll in alcohol and behavioral treatment programs. Let’s hope that camp has now been abandoned.
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 0
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 10
- Who really owns a home run ball? 59
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)