Mar 9, 2011, 7:25 PM EST
According to Frank Donnelly of the Detroit News, court documents released Wednesday reveal that Cabrera threatened the patrons of a Florida bar before he was detained by a highway patrolman on the night of February 16.
Cabrera entered Cowboys Bar-B-Q & Steak Co after last call and was asked to leave by a manager. He ignored that request, walked over to a table of strangers and told them that he had a gun in the bag that he was carrying. The manager asked him to leave for a second time and Cabrera went off:
“You don’t know me,” Cabrera told the bar’s manager. “I will kill you. I know all of you, and I will kill all of you and blow this place up.”
For what it’s worth, Cabrera was not found to have a gun when he was arrested later that night. He has since enrolled in behavioral counseling and has taken on former Mets outfielder Raul Gonzalez as his sponsor for alcohol addiction treatment, according to FOX Sports’ Jon Paul Morosi.
There might have been a camp of people before that felt Cabrera’s DUI arrest got a bit too much attention from the media this spring, or that the multi-millionaire first baseman didn’t really need to enroll in alcohol and behavioral treatment programs. Let’s hope that camp has now been abandoned.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 80
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 8
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 26
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 33
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (81)