Mar 9, 2011, 7:25 PM EDT
According to Frank Donnelly of the Detroit News, court documents released Wednesday reveal that Cabrera threatened the patrons of a Florida bar before he was detained by a highway patrolman on the night of February 16.
Cabrera entered Cowboys Bar-B-Q & Steak Co after last call and was asked to leave by a manager. He ignored that request, walked over to a table of strangers and told them that he had a gun in the bag that he was carrying. The manager asked him to leave for a second time and Cabrera went off:
“You don’t know me,” Cabrera told the bar’s manager. “I will kill you. I know all of you, and I will kill all of you and blow this place up.”
For what it’s worth, Cabrera was not found to have a gun when he was arrested later that night. He has since enrolled in behavioral counseling and has taken on former Mets outfielder Raul Gonzalez as his sponsor for alcohol addiction treatment, according to FOX Sports’ Jon Paul Morosi.
There might have been a camp of people before that felt Cabrera’s DUI arrest got a bit too much attention from the media this spring, or that the multi-millionaire first baseman didn’t really need to enroll in alcohol and behavioral treatment programs. Let’s hope that camp has now been abandoned.
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 15
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 33
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 15
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 83
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Video: Steven Souza Jr. makes sensational catch to secure Jordan Zimmermann’s no-no 24
- David Price dominates Twins as Tigers win AL Central 30
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)
- Bud Selig says A-Rod will “have a clean slate” once his suspension is over (78)