Mar 9, 2011, 7:25 PM EDT
According to Frank Donnelly of the Detroit News, court documents released Wednesday reveal that Cabrera threatened the patrons of a Florida bar before he was detained by a highway patrolman on the night of February 16.
Cabrera entered Cowboys Bar-B-Q & Steak Co after last call and was asked to leave by a manager. He ignored that request, walked over to a table of strangers and told them that he had a gun in the bag that he was carrying. The manager asked him to leave for a second time and Cabrera went off:
“You don’t know me,” Cabrera told the bar’s manager. “I will kill you. I know all of you, and I will kill all of you and blow this place up.”
For what it’s worth, Cabrera was not found to have a gun when he was arrested later that night. He has since enrolled in behavioral counseling and has taken on former Mets outfielder Raul Gonzalez as his sponsor for alcohol addiction treatment, according to FOX Sports’ Jon Paul Morosi.
There might have been a camp of people before that felt Cabrera’s DUI arrest got a bit too much attention from the media this spring, or that the multi-millionaire first baseman didn’t really need to enroll in alcohol and behavioral treatment programs. Let’s hope that camp has now been abandoned.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 14
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 23
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)