Mar 9, 2011, 7:25 PM EDT
According to Frank Donnelly of the Detroit News, court documents released Wednesday reveal that Cabrera threatened the patrons of a Florida bar before he was detained by a highway patrolman on the night of February 16.
Cabrera entered Cowboys Bar-B-Q & Steak Co after last call and was asked to leave by a manager. He ignored that request, walked over to a table of strangers and told them that he had a gun in the bag that he was carrying. The manager asked him to leave for a second time and Cabrera went off:
“You don’t know me,” Cabrera told the bar’s manager. “I will kill you. I know all of you, and I will kill all of you and blow this place up.”
For what it’s worth, Cabrera was not found to have a gun when he was arrested later that night. He has since enrolled in behavioral counseling and has taken on former Mets outfielder Raul Gonzalez as his sponsor for alcohol addiction treatment, according to FOX Sports’ Jon Paul Morosi.
There might have been a camp of people before that felt Cabrera’s DUI arrest got a bit too much attention from the media this spring, or that the multi-millionaire first baseman didn’t really need to enroll in alcohol and behavioral treatment programs. Let’s hope that camp has now been abandoned.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 33
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 12
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 41
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Pats' Hernandez questioned in murder case
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut