Miguel Cabrera threatened to shoot strangers and blow up a bar before his DUI arrest last month…

Mar 9, 2011, 7:25 PM EDT

Miguel Cabrera

Early details about Miguel Cabrera‘s February DUI arrest painted a scary — or at least embarrassing — picture of the 27-year-old Tigers slugger. This new information will make that picture far worse.

According to Frank Donnelly of the Detroit News, court documents released Wednesday reveal that Cabrera threatened the patrons of a Florida bar before he was detained by a highway patrolman on the night of February 16.

Cabrera entered Cowboys Bar-B-Q & Steak Co after last call and was asked to leave by a manager. He ignored that request, walked over to a table of strangers and told them that he had a gun in the bag that he was carrying. The manager asked him to leave for a second time and Cabrera went off:

“You don’t know me,” Cabrera told the bar’s manager. “I will kill you. I know all of you, and I will kill all of you and blow this place up.”

For what it’s worth, Cabrera was not found to have a gun when he was arrested later that night. He has since enrolled in behavioral counseling and has taken on former Mets outfielder Raul Gonzalez as his sponsor for alcohol addiction treatment, according to FOX Sports’ Jon Paul Morosi.

There might have been a camp of people before that felt Cabrera’s DUI arrest got a bit too much attention from the media this spring, or that the multi-millionaire first baseman didn’t really need to enroll in alcohol and behavioral treatment programs. Let’s hope that camp has now been abandoned.

1. jhorton83 - Mar 9, 2011 at 7:36 PM

Who among us hasn’t done that?

• BC - Mar 9, 2011 at 8:06 PM

Me.

• jhorton83 - Mar 9, 2011 at 8:26 PM

I disagree.

• BC - Mar 9, 2011 at 8:33 PM

I own a handgun. With a permit. It stays in my condo, parked in a drawer right next to my bed. And it will do so until I move, then it will stay in my new dwelling. It’s there to blow a hole in someone if they break into my place at night. Doesn’t go out on the town. Doesn’t threaten anyone. And it sure as bleep doesn’t mix well with alcohol and never will.
        I have a hell of a temper, but I’m sorry, even if I’m totally sauced, c’mon, no way I’m pulling what this dude pulled, gun on me or not. I learned many moons ago to 1) not start a fight and 2) walk away from a fight.
        If Cabrera wasn’t who he is, he’d be doing time real soon. Hopefully he straightens his act out. He has a lot of work to do.

2. frankvzappa - Mar 9, 2011 at 7:39 PM

if he wasnt famous, he would be locked away in Gitmo by now

• purdueman - Mar 9, 2011 at 8:20 PM

I think that DE-troit needs to drop the nickname “Tigers” (after all, the only tigers you’ll ever find anywhere near DE-troit are in a zoo!), and change it to “Buchanan’s”, in honor of Cabrera’s favorite cheap brand of swill! Think of the corporate advertising tie-ins!

• purdueman - Mar 9, 2011 at 9:16 PM

For those of you old enough to remember (or have read about it), the Brooklyn Dodgers used to be known as “Dem Bums”; if DE-troit were to re-nickname their team to “The Buchanan’s”, they then could become known as those “Whiskey Boys!”. (LOL!). Ever been to DE-troit? I have many a time and it’s hard to blame anyone for drinkin’ if they have to live there!

• purdueman - Mar 9, 2011 at 9:25 PM

If being famous had anything to do with his treatment by the PO-lice, then Lindsay Lohan and Charlie Sheen wouldn’t be in as much hot water as they are now, would they? As we’ve seen though in the felony cases involving Kobe Bryant and OJ Simpson (in the murder trial of course), money DOES buy your way out of virtually any trouble that you may get into along the way. What boggles my mind though is how a guy making something like $27M/year is too cheap and stupid to not flip a few C-notes to someone at the bar to drive him home or to his hotel.

• Old Gator - Mar 9, 2011 at 9:48 PM

Money didn’t buy OJ’s freedom. A corrupt, stupid cop who was caught planting evidence at another crime scene called his own credibility as arresting officer into question by his prior acts, and that, along with the odd coincidence of the glove the cop “found” at the crime scene not fitting OJ’s hand, got OJ sprung. If I was on that jury, it would have churned my stomach but I’d’ve voted to acquit him too. Incidentally, guess where OJ has taken up residence since?

Cabrera is another story altogether. But as BC notes below, he needs more help than a conventional detox. This guy has some serious problems that transcend boozing.

• Old Gator - Mar 9, 2011 at 9:49 PM

Correction above: credibility as a prosecution witness.

• purdueman - Mar 9, 2011 at 9:59 PM

You’re partially correct on OJ, but I’ve read both Prosecutor Marsha Clark’s and Detective Mark Furman (who I assume you are referring to in your post; the first detective on the seen), books and the case was blown by the Detective who took over the case from Furman (Van Etter). There was a lot of jealousy and backbiting going on within the LAPD, and Van Etter wanted the limelight. He totally violated department policy by ignoring Furman’s initial notes from the crime seen until several days after. In Furman’s hand written notes, it’s clearly written that “blood splatters were found on the back gate exiting to the back”, but because Van Etter didn’t secure that part of the crime seen and didn’t take forensic evidence on the night of the crime (he subsequently did some three weeks later), that evidence was inadmissible due to a break in the chain of evidence. Not only did the back gate prove OJ’s getaway route (something that only someone intimate with the property would have likely known about), but it also had the blood of both OJ as well as the two victims. Game, set, match. Case closed; guilty go free.

• purdueman - Mar 9, 2011 at 10:05 PM

The Assistant Prosecutor in the OJ murder case (Darden), was an even bigger dope than Detective Van Etter. Any idiot knows that a leather glove when soaked in water, blood or any fluid is going to shrivel up by at least 1/8th of a size (or more). Then to ask OJ to put on the bloody glove while wearing a full condom (glove), over his hand on top of the shrinkage? Classic case of stupid is as stupid does!

3. BC - Mar 9, 2011 at 8:12 PM

This dude is NOT right. He needs to get sober first, and then get some serious help on either the anger management or manic depression / bipolar front. Either that or he needs to play baseball 365 days a year so he has a regimen. He’s wandered off the reservation (so to speak) a few too many times here.
    I’m sure back in the 50s and 60s the Four Horsemen (Mantle, Ford, Martin, Bauer) got in a bar brawl now and again and certainly boozed it up, then slept it off, took a couple aspirin and showed up the next day.
    But Cabrara is dangerous. I wouldn’t want to be near him when he really goes Charlie Sheen. He’s going to hurt someone or himself. Badly. Hopefully I’m wrong.

4. purdueman - Mar 9, 2011 at 8:16 PM

DE-troit’s President and GM Dave Dumb-rowski tried to buy a world championship after having received a blank check book from then new Tigers owner and pizza mogul, Mike Ilich. If anyone deserves to get burned for doing so, it’s Dumb-rowski. So far “what comes around goes around” is holding true too, what with Dumb-rowski getting burned on big contract extensions for SP Robertson (currently out of baseball at only 28 years old), Dontre “Where’s Home Plate” Willis and now Cabrera the team sot. Don’t get me wrong though… Cabrera’s got serious issues that need professional help; it’s just that if ever there was a GM who deserved to get burned, it’s Dumb-rowski!

5. Drew Silva - Mar 9, 2011 at 8:27 PM

There’s video of the arrest now on the Detroit News website. I recommend the opening dialogue with the cops and then there’s a good minute or two around 19:25.

• BC - Mar 9, 2011 at 8:47 PM

This guy is screwed up. I’m sorry, but 99% of people when completely faced either pass out, get sloppy and stumbly, get the uncontrollable giggles, or spend the evening becoming one with the Porcelain God. They don’t walk into a restaurant and threaten to kill people – gun or no gun.
      This guy needs help. If he doesn’t get it, I pray in advance for whoever is around him when he goes totally off the deep end.

• Old Gator - Mar 9, 2011 at 9:50 PM

Porcelain goddess. A porcelain god would hurt. Really.

• purdueman - Mar 9, 2011 at 10:06 PM

LOL! Maybe BC assumed that Cabrera would have had the economy sized jar of Vaseline!

• IdahoMariner - Mar 10, 2011 at 11:52 AM

um, guys? he’s talking about the toilet. we all called it The Porcelain God in college, too.

• purdueman - Mar 10, 2011 at 12:29 PM

I never heard the term “Porcelain God” or for that matter “Porcelain Goddess” before either. Back when I was in college (and I know that I’m dating myself here), it was simply known as “Worshiping the throne”. My favorite bathroom story from college though was when my buddy Crazy Eddie got a prescription that turned his urine bright orange. We’d go to parties and then when he went, he never flushed so that we could hang out and wait for our next victim to enter the bathroom and then go: “OH MY GOD! I THINK THAT WHATEVER IT IS IT MUST BE CONTAGIOUS!”. LOL… we freaked a lot of people out!

6. cur68 - Mar 9, 2011 at 9:00 PM

I just watched the video from Drew Silva’s link. That is one messed up dude. The closest I can come to his behavior is another pro athlete, Theo Fleury whom I had the misfortune to meet once when he was at his worse. Shockingly, horribly similar. It would be ridiculous to suggest that Miggy has the same issues as Theo but the violent aggressive drunk behavior is very close. Miguel Cabrera can’t stand what’ going on in his head, that much is obvious. If those who care for him can figure that out then he’s got a shot at a normal life, maybe. Can’t happen soon enough.

• purdueman - Mar 9, 2011 at 9:21 PM

The Chicago Bears had a former defensive lineman (who’s name escapes me at the moment, but I think it was maybe Spellman?), who shortly after he was cut got arrested for waltzing around nude down a busy Chicago Boulevard in something like 30 degree weather. Obviously the guy has to get help before he seriously hurts (or kills), someone in his family or innocent people. Dumb-rowski should demand that he have a team chaperone with him at all times that he’s away from the ballpark until medical professionals can give him a clean mental bill of health. It’s certainly not unprecedented; the White Sox recently hired a full time bi-lingual (Spanish and English), employee that does nothing but help the teams Spanish only speaking players get assimilated (and keep in mind that the White Sox have several bi-lingual coaches as well as their manager).

• cur68 - Mar 9, 2011 at 9:34 PM

I know who you mean. Alonzo Spellman. He’s a fighter now or something. He had bi-polar disorder. He’d get manic then drink. Miggy looks the other way around, not unlike Theo Fleury who was relatively normal sober, but always had an edge to him; a sense of ‘I dare you to do something’. When drunk though, violent, angry, abusive. Cabrera is like that. He has a typical feature of someone repressing disturbing thoughts or memories; repetitive statements, each time slightly more emphatic. He is suppressing a lot of anger about something. That’s what needs to be dealt with.

7. Brian Murphy - Mar 9, 2011 at 9:03 PM

I would be very grateful if anyone could take the time to translate what Cabrera says.

• purdueman - Mar 9, 2011 at 9:26 PM

Even if they could, they likely couldn’t post it here… it would no doubt get censored!

8. miket5 - Mar 9, 2011 at 9:28 PM

If he was in the NFL he would get a minimum 8 game suspension. He will get little to no discipline from MLB. Maybe a suspension would open his eyes.

9. kellyb9 - Mar 10, 2011 at 4:26 PM

“Miguel Cabrera threatened to shoot strangers and blow up a bar before his DUI arrest last month…”

Authorities think the two events may be related.

10. rapmusicmademedoit - Mar 10, 2011 at 6:23 PM

maybe he was having a bad day, it happens. what can you do.

• purdueman - Mar 10, 2011 at 6:30 PM

You could do what Cabrera did by offering the nice officers a swig or two from your open bottle of cheap Buchanan’s scotch whiskey, that’s what you can do!!! (LOL!)

11. luckywi - Mar 10, 2011 at 6:53 PM

Why wasn’t the secret service following him?

• cur68 - Mar 10, 2011 at 8:18 PM

Damn good question. A tentative answer; they had there hands full watching Coco get busted for DUI

Can Nationals run the playoff table?
  1. D. Jeter (3378)