Mar 10, 2011, 7:08 PM EDT
Marlins right-hander Anibal Sanchez may be sidelined for the next week or two.
According to Joe Frisaro of MLB.com, Sanchez had a large ice wrap around his right shin in the Marlins’ clubhouse Thursday after being nailed by a grounder during his three-inning Grapefruit League start against the Mets.
The Marlins believe that he only suffered a bruise, but they’ll give him a rundown of tests on Friday morning to be sure that there are no fractures.
Sanchez spoke with Frisaro after the exhibition loss and was still feeling the hurt:
“It hit me on the side of the shin,” Sanchez said. “It really hurt. It’s painful at the moment. Right now, it’s sore. It’s a lot of inflammation right there. I have to wait [and see]. Three times I’ll ice it today, and see how it comes [Friday].”
Sanchez, 27, posted a strong 3.55 ERA across 32 starts last season and fanned 157 batters in 195 total innings. He was able to avoid the disabled list for the first time in his five-year major league career.
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 40
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 10
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 35
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 62
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 27
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)