Mar 10, 2011, 7:08 PM EDT
Marlins right-hander Anibal Sanchez may be sidelined for the next week or two.
According to Joe Frisaro of MLB.com, Sanchez had a large ice wrap around his right shin in the Marlins’ clubhouse Thursday after being nailed by a grounder during his three-inning Grapefruit League start against the Mets.
The Marlins believe that he only suffered a bruise, but they’ll give him a rundown of tests on Friday morning to be sure that there are no fractures.
Sanchez spoke with Frisaro after the exhibition loss and was still feeling the hurt:
“It hit me on the side of the shin,” Sanchez said. “It really hurt. It’s painful at the moment. Right now, it’s sore. It’s a lot of inflammation right there. I have to wait [and see]. Three times I’ll ice it today, and see how it comes [Friday].”
Sanchez, 27, posted a strong 3.55 ERA across 32 starts last season and fanned 157 batters in 195 total innings. He was able to avoid the disabled list for the first time in his five-year major league career.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 85
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)