Mar 10, 2011, 7:08 PM EDT
Marlins right-hander Anibal Sanchez may be sidelined for the next week or two.
According to Joe Frisaro of MLB.com, Sanchez had a large ice wrap around his right shin in the Marlins’ clubhouse Thursday after being nailed by a grounder during his three-inning Grapefruit League start against the Mets.
The Marlins believe that he only suffered a bruise, but they’ll give him a rundown of tests on Friday morning to be sure that there are no fractures.
Sanchez spoke with Frisaro after the exhibition loss and was still feeling the hurt:
“It hit me on the side of the shin,” Sanchez said. “It really hurt. It’s painful at the moment. Right now, it’s sore. It’s a lot of inflammation right there. I have to wait [and see]. Three times I’ll ice it today, and see how it comes [Friday].”
Sanchez, 27, posted a strong 3.55 ERA across 32 starts last season and fanned 157 batters in 195 total innings. He was able to avoid the disabled list for the first time in his five-year major league career.
- Who really owns a home run ball? 56
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 127
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Remembering David Letterman’s best sports moments 11
- Ryan Zimmerman is Mr. Walk-Off (and the numbers to prove it) 11
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (125)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)