Mar 10, 2011, 7:08 PM EDT
Marlins right-hander Anibal Sanchez may be sidelined for the next week or two.
According to Joe Frisaro of MLB.com, Sanchez had a large ice wrap around his right shin in the Marlins’ clubhouse Thursday after being nailed by a grounder during his three-inning Grapefruit League start against the Mets.
The Marlins believe that he only suffered a bruise, but they’ll give him a rundown of tests on Friday morning to be sure that there are no fractures.
Sanchez spoke with Frisaro after the exhibition loss and was still feeling the hurt:
“It hit me on the side of the shin,” Sanchez said. “It really hurt. It’s painful at the moment. Right now, it’s sore. It’s a lot of inflammation right there. I have to wait [and see]. Three times I’ll ice it today, and see how it comes [Friday].”
Sanchez, 27, posted a strong 3.55 ERA across 32 starts last season and fanned 157 batters in 195 total innings. He was able to avoid the disabled list for the first time in his five-year major league career.
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 5
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 99
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 17
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 28
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 31
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 18
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 85
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (103)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)