Mar 10, 2011, 7:08 PM EDT
Marlins right-hander Anibal Sanchez may be sidelined for the next week or two.
According to Joe Frisaro of MLB.com, Sanchez had a large ice wrap around his right shin in the Marlins’ clubhouse Thursday after being nailed by a grounder during his three-inning Grapefruit League start against the Mets.
The Marlins believe that he only suffered a bruise, but they’ll give him a rundown of tests on Friday morning to be sure that there are no fractures.
Sanchez spoke with Frisaro after the exhibition loss and was still feeling the hurt:
“It hit me on the side of the shin,” Sanchez said. “It really hurt. It’s painful at the moment. Right now, it’s sore. It’s a lot of inflammation right there. I have to wait [and see]. Three times I’ll ice it today, and see how it comes [Friday].”
Sanchez, 27, posted a strong 3.55 ERA across 32 starts last season and fanned 157 batters in 195 total innings. He was able to avoid the disabled list for the first time in his five-year major league career.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 7
- UPDATE: Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 27
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 18
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 94
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 26
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 55
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (120)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)