Mar 10, 2011, 2:36 PM EDT
Moses Green is a longtime reader (and occasional proofreader) of mine. He’s also a Mets fan, and had the opportunity to take in a Mets spring training game there the other day. He waxed crazy-effusive:
Quick spring training note: visited Port St. Lucie with a buddy while driving home to CT from Miami. Got to the Mets-Nats game there at the Mets’ facility at 11 a.m. for a 1:05 p.m. start with the car and coolers all packed. Tailgating you say? Why no – sunscreen and straight in to watch batting practice.
I really just wanted to give you a quick rave about the Mets’ training facility down there – we were able to walk all around in between the various practice fields and watch an instructional league practice game in progress. The game was poorly attended IMO, and I was hoping if nothing else you could pass this along to your followers: If you’re a Mets fan with the financial resources and ability to go down there and stay for a week during spring training, you must do this. I don’t even like the Mets and I had an amazing time. I paid $20, got to do all that, and then sit 15 feet from David Wright during a baseball game.
I was really moved down there, just talking to people in bars and restaurants, reading the news, at just how hard Florida was hit by the Recession and how very little the Recovery has begun down there. It occurred to me that there were a lot of parallels between Port St. Lucie and the Mets organization (and by extension, Mets fans) – you’re talking about an area and a team that have gone through really tough times lately, with more of the same on the horizon. Visiting a beautiful spot and spending some tourist money in a stricken area to support your team seams like the perfect panacea for Port St. Lucie, the Mets, and Mets fans alike.
The Mets may not be great this year. The Treasure Coast economy may be even worse. And, in my opinion anyway, Tradition Field probably falls near the low-end of the spring training facility rankings. But the joint was spewing and inspiring optimism the other day, the way no place besides a spring training ballpark truly can. How can you not love that?
- Carlos Gomez diagnosed with sprained wrist 2
- Michael Wacha to start Thursday for the Cardinals 4
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 50
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 34
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 61
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 48
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (221)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (76)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)