Mar 10, 2011, 2:36 PM EST
Moses Green is a longtime reader (and occasional proofreader) of mine. He’s also a Mets fan, and had the opportunity to take in a Mets spring training game there the other day. He waxed crazy-effusive:
Quick spring training note: visited Port St. Lucie with a buddy while driving home to CT from Miami. Got to the Mets-Nats game there at the Mets’ facility at 11 a.m. for a 1:05 p.m. start with the car and coolers all packed. Tailgating you say? Why no – sunscreen and straight in to watch batting practice.
I really just wanted to give you a quick rave about the Mets’ training facility down there – we were able to walk all around in between the various practice fields and watch an instructional league practice game in progress. The game was poorly attended IMO, and I was hoping if nothing else you could pass this along to your followers: If you’re a Mets fan with the financial resources and ability to go down there and stay for a week during spring training, you must do this. I don’t even like the Mets and I had an amazing time. I paid $20, got to do all that, and then sit 15 feet from David Wright during a baseball game.
I was really moved down there, just talking to people in bars and restaurants, reading the news, at just how hard Florida was hit by the Recession and how very little the Recovery has begun down there. It occurred to me that there were a lot of parallels between Port St. Lucie and the Mets organization (and by extension, Mets fans) – you’re talking about an area and a team that have gone through really tough times lately, with more of the same on the horizon. Visiting a beautiful spot and spending some tourist money in a stricken area to support your team seams like the perfect panacea for Port St. Lucie, the Mets, and Mets fans alike.
The Mets may not be great this year. The Treasure Coast economy may be even worse. And, in my opinion anyway, Tradition Field probably falls near the low-end of the spring training facility rankings. But the joint was spewing and inspiring optimism the other day, the way no place besides a spring training ballpark truly can. How can you not love that?
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 7
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 18
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (92)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (82)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (79)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (70)