Mar 10, 2011, 10:15 AM EST
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reported in mid-February that the Diamondbacks were interested in Michael Young and today he writes that they “renewed their efforts to trade” for him last week only to balk when the Rangers “asked for a strong package of prospects and major leaguers.”
Rosenthal is probably the best national reporter in the business and I’m not doubting what the “one source” quoted in the article told him, but I’m highly skeptical that the Rangers wanted “a strong package of prospects and major leaguers” for a guy they’ve clearly been trying to trade for the past four months.
Perhaps the Rangers asked for that type of return for Young if they’re expected to eat the entire $48 million remaining on his contract, but short of that they seem likely to let him go for either a sizable chunk of money saved or a decent prospect. And if they’re truly holding out for the package Rosenthal describes … well, then it’s no mystery why he hasn’t been traded in four months. Young just isn’t that valuable.
Of course, in this case the Diamondbacks are on the list of teams to which Young can veto a trade, so it may be a moot point anyway. He would be an upgrade on Melvin Mora at third base, though.
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 0
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 83
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 47
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 145
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (112)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)