Mar 10, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reported in mid-February that the Diamondbacks were interested in Michael Young and today he writes that they “renewed their efforts to trade” for him last week only to balk when the Rangers “asked for a strong package of prospects and major leaguers.”
Rosenthal is probably the best national reporter in the business and I’m not doubting what the “one source” quoted in the article told him, but I’m highly skeptical that the Rangers wanted “a strong package of prospects and major leaguers” for a guy they’ve clearly been trying to trade for the past four months.
Perhaps the Rangers asked for that type of return for Young if they’re expected to eat the entire $48 million remaining on his contract, but short of that they seem likely to let him go for either a sizable chunk of money saved or a decent prospect. And if they’re truly holding out for the package Rosenthal describes … well, then it’s no mystery why he hasn’t been traded in four months. Young just isn’t that valuable.
Of course, in this case the Diamondbacks are on the list of teams to which Young can veto a trade, so it may be a moot point anyway. He would be an upgrade on Melvin Mora at third base, though.
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 1
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 38
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 22
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 34
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 5
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (103)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)