Mar 10, 2011, 11:48 AM EST
Billy Butler is a 6-foot-1, 240-pound first baseman who should probably be a designated hitter, could best be described as “lumbering,” and has a grand total of one stolen base in 533 games. Yet for some reason the Royals are convinced he should be running more this season.
Butler stole a base in yesterday’s game against the Rangers and said afterward that manager Ned Yost “has pretty much turned us loose” as base-stealers.
Dick Kaegel of MLB.com writes that “Yost figures that Butler could get up to 10 steals a season by picking his spots,” which is sort of hilarious for a guy who has three steals in his last 856 games dating back to the minors and grounded into 32 double plays last season for the third-highest total in baseball history.
Kansas City has an incredible amount of young talent coming up through the farm system and has a chance to emerge as long-term contenders relatively soon, but for now the Royals are going to be a very, very bad team and Yost trying to make base-stealers out of everyone on the roster isn’t going to help.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)