Kenny G takes batting practice with the Yankees

Mar 10, 2011, 3:08 PM EDT

JR_04019_43.tif

Besides my family, there are only a handful of things that bring me unequivocal joy in this world.  Baseball is one, of course.  Good whiskey.  Good music too, and of the many styles I enjoy, jazz may be the one that moves me the most emotionally.

So when I see Kenny G taking batting practice with the Yankees, I realize that he has now desecrated two of the four things on my list.

If he ever comes near my family or if he opens up a distillery, I can’t be held responsible for my actions.

1. hep3 - Mar 10, 2011 at 3:12 PM

Amen!

2. seeingwhatsticks - Mar 10, 2011 at 3:23 PM

Please tell me he was a personal guest of ARod.

3. trevorb06 - Mar 10, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Craig, about your distillery comment, apparently you don’t know about… oh… nevermind. Let’s just say he hasn’t OPENED a distillery.

4. phukyouk - Mar 10, 2011 at 3:34 PM

i swear i thought that was Manny with his braids undone…

5. heyblueyoustink - Mar 10, 2011 at 3:41 PM

maybe he’ll have a calming influence on hank-zilla

6. kander013 - Mar 10, 2011 at 3:41 PM

why is david wells there?

• thinman61 - Mar 10, 2011 at 4:33 PM

Boomer is currently a guest pitching instructor with the Evil Empire.

7. Jonny 5 - Mar 10, 2011 at 4:04 PM

LOL!! you got me!

Mr. “G” is just terrible.

A fan of Jazz huh?? That’s why I’m a huge fan of the blues. Rarely will sucky “artists” try to deface the blues. Really, who since Elvis has screwed up the blues? I can’t think of anyone.

• heyblueyoustink - Mar 10, 2011 at 4:14 PM

I kind of wish Jack White would stay away from the genre……and while I like Tom Waits persoanlly, i’ve heard others make the argument

• Jonny 5 - Mar 10, 2011 at 4:36 PM

I like Jack, but he should never do the blues. Didn’t his mom tell him???

• Ace - Mar 10, 2011 at 5:07 PM

Really? I actually think Jack White is one of the few guys in recent years who has played the blues with real conviction and personality. The bland and soulless blues stylings of guys like Johnny Lang, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, and John Mayer are far more objectionable to me.

• Glenn - Mar 10, 2011 at 5:54 PM

You need to watch the video of the concert “Under Blackpool Lights” where he does some incredible takes on the blues with complete passion and ability.

• hasbeen5 - Mar 10, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Johnny Lang’s first album was really good, to me anyway. Second album was mostly good, 3rd sucked, and I haven’t bothered to buy the newer stuff.

• jasonforb - Mar 10, 2011 at 6:23 PM

John Mayer?

8. cur68 - Mar 10, 2011 at 4:12 PM

Kenny G & the Yankees. Now that is just the perfect storm of heinous right there. Please tell me he took a ball to the kisser? Please?

9. monsieurbear - Mar 10, 2011 at 4:17 PM

Craig, tell me that you wouldn’t take BP with the team of your choice (and stink up the joint in the process).

• Craig Calcaterra - Mar 10, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Maybe. But I’d be sure not to have first spent two decades sucking at other endeavors first.

I guess what I’m saying is that Kenny G used up his mulligans a long time ago.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 10, 2011 at 7:39 PM

In Kenny G’s defense—now THAT’S something I never thought I’d say—he did suck his way to millions of bucks. No, wait…that came out wrong….

• cur68 - Mar 10, 2011 at 7:53 PM

No. Right the first time.

10. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Mar 10, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Does anyone else feel that the face pic above is extremely punchable? Like so punchable you almost broke your monitor before realizing that it wasn’t the real Kenny G you were punching?

• cur68 - Mar 10, 2011 at 5:47 PM

Not only punchable, but easily adorned with a fat lip from a bp pitch; anything to leave a dent in that fake n bake, botox augmented, tan.

11. adeedothatswho - Mar 10, 2011 at 5:34 PM

Craig, you should listen to some Jeff Lorber Fusion. Kenny played actual jazz back then. Its a shame he decided to give up music and play that garbage….

12. pauleee - Mar 10, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Geez Craig, I’m reading the teaser and I’m about to go ballistic…and then I click and read the second and third paragraph. Once again all is right with the HBT world. I still aught to smack you for elevating my blood pressure.

13. Glenn - Mar 10, 2011 at 5:57 PM

Craig – you scared me for a minute – I was afraid that you were a fan. I watched Kenny G desecrate jazz at the Newport Jazz Fest a number of years ago with his embarrassing noodling. I’d rather hear Kenny Powers try to play jazz.

14. heiniemanush - Mar 10, 2011 at 8:43 PM

Whisky, jazz and baseball, now you’re talking my language. Kenny G has about as much to do with jazz as Michael Bolton has to do with soul singing. Smooch music for the masses. With any luck the next time Mr. G-String shows up for batting practice C.C. will bust his lip with a high hard one and put an end to a truly sorry musical saga.

15. Glenn - Mar 10, 2011 at 11:01 PM

I love coincidences. I was reading Anthony Bourdain’s latest book tonight and he uses Kenny G as an example of horrible “talents” who are somehow popular.

16. Jeremy T - Mar 10, 2011 at 11:13 PM

I was once told my saxophone playing sounded like Kenny G. I died a little inside that day.

17. motherscratcher23 - Mar 11, 2011 at 12:40 AM

Craig, check out Galactic. I think you’d dig ‘em. Crazyhorse Mongoose maybe. I think the kids call it acid jazz or something. Far out, man.

18. drpaisley - Mar 11, 2011 at 1:15 AM

Here’s the final word on the subject of Kenny G.

Ace-killer Giants do it again