Ron Villone is still alive and the Nationals have him

Mar 10, 2011, 5:30 PM EDT

About a year ago Ron Villone was cut by the Nats. Then a few weeks later he was back working out with the Nats. He ended up pitching 41 games for the Nats’ AAA team last season.  Then he flew off to whatever magical land old crafty lefties go to warm themselves over the winter. Now he has signed with the Nats again.

At some point scientists are going to crack the whole mortality thing.  When they do, I’m sure the potion that is used to give us all eternal life will involve extract-of-lefty.

Oh, and you’ll note that there is no picture for this entry. That’s because I did a photo search on all of the photo databases for which we have publishing rights.  The search result came back: “Really? Villone? C’mon, you don’t really need a photo of Ron Villone, do ya?  Seriously?”

1. cur68 - Mar 10, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Well I found this shot from 2007. Once you scroll past the images of other over the hill types you come to Ron. In a toga. Proving the point; he’s older than Sh!t.

Things do pick up further down this page, but I warn you, then you run into Bloomberg. Jeez…

2. jwbiii - Mar 11, 2011 at 5:12 AM

Ron Villone is so old (How old is he?) Ron Villone is so old he was once traded for Jeff Juden.

3. BC - Mar 11, 2011 at 9:34 AM

Who’s played on more teams, Ron Villone or Matt Stairs?

• sportsdrenched - Mar 11, 2011 at 11:01 AM

I was about the head over to baseball reference to look that up. But then I realized I don’t really care. I’ll anxiously await whenmattstairswasking’s response.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Mar 11, 2011 at 2:04 PM

Stairs has the record for most teams played by a position player, actually. Thirteen if you count the Expos and Nationals as two different teams.

4. akismet-e6748cca3a16ea6e8283008d25583adc - Mar 11, 2011 at 3:35 PM

Most of the Nats beat writers are portraying the Villone signing as a “senior mentorship” signing. He’s NOT invited to major league camp and seems set to settle into almost an active player/bullpen coach role.

Of course, the other possibility is that he’s 3rd in line for the Nats Loogy role, currently being battled for by Slaten and Severino. This is a notable option since both these players are not faring very well in spring training so far.

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3486)