Mar 10, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT
Darren Rovell passes along word that the efforts of TMZ to expand its salacious paparazzi empire into the world of sports have “fizzled.” The problem: there aren’t enough athletes acting like jackasses in public. And people acting like jackasses in public is basically the whole TMZ business model.
And that’s the real dirty underbelly of sports: athletes, for the most part, are kind of boring. Sure, there are a couple of outliers, but those guys don’t remain athletes long due to the fact that being drunk and acting ridiculous in public generally ends sports careers quickly, thereby rendering TMZ’s would-be targets irrelevant to their enterprise the moment they become subjects of it. I mean, beyond Miguel Cabrera, who gets third chances in the world of sports?
Now, if someone could make a media empire that focuses on getting paparazzi video of athletes exercising, getting a good night’s sleep, messing with their cell phones, playing golf, hunting and living in bland, gated planned suburban communities they’d really be on to something. Because that’s what the vast majority of them do.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 9
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 43
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)