Mar 10, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT
Darren Rovell passes along word that the efforts of TMZ to expand its salacious paparazzi empire into the world of sports have “fizzled.” The problem: there aren’t enough athletes acting like jackasses in public. And people acting like jackasses in public is basically the whole TMZ business model.
And that’s the real dirty underbelly of sports: athletes, for the most part, are kind of boring. Sure, there are a couple of outliers, but those guys don’t remain athletes long due to the fact that being drunk and acting ridiculous in public generally ends sports careers quickly, thereby rendering TMZ’s would-be targets irrelevant to their enterprise the moment they become subjects of it. I mean, beyond Miguel Cabrera, who gets third chances in the world of sports?
Now, if someone could make a media empire that focuses on getting paparazzi video of athletes exercising, getting a good night’s sleep, messing with their cell phones, playing golf, hunting and living in bland, gated planned suburban communities they’d really be on to something. Because that’s what the vast majority of them do.
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 15
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 33
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 15
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 83
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Video: Steven Souza Jr. makes sensational catch to secure Jordan Zimmermann’s no-no 24
- David Price dominates Twins as Tigers win AL Central 30
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)
- Bud Selig says A-Rod will “have a clean slate” once his suspension is over (78)