Mar 10, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT
Darren Rovell passes along word that the efforts of TMZ to expand its salacious paparazzi empire into the world of sports have “fizzled.” The problem: there aren’t enough athletes acting like jackasses in public. And people acting like jackasses in public is basically the whole TMZ business model.
And that’s the real dirty underbelly of sports: athletes, for the most part, are kind of boring. Sure, there are a couple of outliers, but those guys don’t remain athletes long due to the fact that being drunk and acting ridiculous in public generally ends sports careers quickly, thereby rendering TMZ’s would-be targets irrelevant to their enterprise the moment they become subjects of it. I mean, beyond Miguel Cabrera, who gets third chances in the world of sports?
Now, if someone could make a media empire that focuses on getting paparazzi video of athletes exercising, getting a good night’s sleep, messing with their cell phones, playing golf, hunting and living in bland, gated planned suburban communities they’d really be on to something. Because that’s what the vast majority of them do.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)