Mar 11, 2011, 10:05 PM EDT
Aaron Cook is giving new meaning to the phrase “tough-luck pitcher.”
Cook was already expected to begin the season on the disabled list due to inflammation in his shoulder, but he could now be sidelined until May after breaking the ring finger on his pitching hand.
As he explained to Troy Renck of the Denver Post, Cook suffered the injury when he accidentally shut a door on his hand.
“It’s unfortunate. I woke up today after long-tossing and my shoulder was pain-free, but my finger really hurt,” Cook told The Denver Post. “At two weeks, I am hoping to start throwing. I don’t use the finger really to grip the ball. So as long as it doesn’t hurt when I throw, I am going to push as fast as I can to get back.”
Cook first felt symptoms with his shoulder following his second bullpen session of the spring, so he’ll essentially need to start from scratch once he’s ready to throw. That means the Rockies will have to settle on a fifth starter for the first month of the season.
Felipe Paulino, who was acquired from the Astros in the Clint Barmes trade, has already been moved to the bullpen after allowing five runs in six innings over his first two appearances this spring. That leaves Esmil Rogers as the current favorite, though Clayton Mortensen and John Maine could also be considered.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)