Mar 11, 2011, 10:05 PM EDT
Aaron Cook is giving new meaning to the phrase “tough-luck pitcher.”
Cook was already expected to begin the season on the disabled list due to inflammation in his shoulder, but he could now be sidelined until May after breaking the ring finger on his pitching hand.
As he explained to Troy Renck of the Denver Post, Cook suffered the injury when he accidentally shut a door on his hand.
“It’s unfortunate. I woke up today after long-tossing and my shoulder was pain-free, but my finger really hurt,” Cook told The Denver Post. “At two weeks, I am hoping to start throwing. I don’t use the finger really to grip the ball. So as long as it doesn’t hurt when I throw, I am going to push as fast as I can to get back.”
Cook first felt symptoms with his shoulder following his second bullpen session of the spring, so he’ll essentially need to start from scratch once he’s ready to throw. That means the Rockies will have to settle on a fifth starter for the first month of the season.
Felipe Paulino, who was acquired from the Astros in the Clint Barmes trade, has already been moved to the bullpen after allowing five runs in six innings over his first two appearances this spring. That leaves Esmil Rogers as the current favorite, though Clayton Mortensen and John Maine could also be considered.
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 7
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 28
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)