Mar 11, 2011, 12:25 PM EDT
Chris Carpenter was scratched from today’s start because of a hamstring injury, but Rick Hummel of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that he threw around 60 pitches against live hitters this morning and is now scheduled to start Wednesday against the Tigers.
Carpenter gave Cardinals fans a scare in the wake of Adam Wainwright‘s season-ending elbow injury and has been sidelined since March 1, but the former Cy Young winner told Hummel that he’s no longer worried about the hamstring problems:
You’re talking about a minor hamstring injury, not elbow surgery or a sore shoulder. I’ve had way too many other things to concern myself with a slight hamstring. I figured that eventually it would be getting better.
Barring a setback Carpenter is in line to make three spring training starts before his Opening Day assignment.
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 15
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 19
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 35
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 18
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 84
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Video: Steven Souza Jr. makes sensational catch to secure Jordan Zimmermann’s no-no 24
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)
- Bud Selig says A-Rod will “have a clean slate” once his suspension is over (78)