Mar 11, 2011, 12:25 PM EDT
Chris Carpenter was scratched from today’s start because of a hamstring injury, but Rick Hummel of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that he threw around 60 pitches against live hitters this morning and is now scheduled to start Wednesday against the Tigers.
Carpenter gave Cardinals fans a scare in the wake of Adam Wainwright‘s season-ending elbow injury and has been sidelined since March 1, but the former Cy Young winner told Hummel that he’s no longer worried about the hamstring problems:
You’re talking about a minor hamstring injury, not elbow surgery or a sore shoulder. I’ve had way too many other things to concern myself with a slight hamstring. I figured that eventually it would be getting better.
Barring a setback Carpenter is in line to make three spring training starts before his Opening Day assignment.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (87)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)