Mar 11, 2011, 12:25 PM EST
Chris Carpenter was scratched from today’s start because of a hamstring injury, but Rick Hummel of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that he threw around 60 pitches against live hitters this morning and is now scheduled to start Wednesday against the Tigers.
Carpenter gave Cardinals fans a scare in the wake of Adam Wainwright‘s season-ending elbow injury and has been sidelined since March 1, but the former Cy Young winner told Hummel that he’s no longer worried about the hamstring problems:
You’re talking about a minor hamstring injury, not elbow surgery or a sore shoulder. I’ve had way too many other things to concern myself with a slight hamstring. I figured that eventually it would be getting better.
Barring a setback Carpenter is in line to make three spring training starts before his Opening Day assignment.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 48
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)