Skip to content

Cool: Greg Maddux’s high school scouting report

Mar 11, 2011, 10:59 AM EDT

Image (1) maddux.jpg for post 5104

I’d love stuff like this even if it wasn’t about my most favoritest player of all time.  Greg Maddux’s high school scouting report. Highlights:

“I really believe that this boy would possibly be the number 1 player taken in the country if only he looked a bit more physical.”

I watched him pitch for 23 years and one of the reasons he was so awesome was because he never looked at all physical. Really, I’d say 35% of his appeal was the fact that he looked like the clerk at a car rental counter.  Also:

“Weaknesses: lacks overall control on all pitches.”

Gee, I wonder if he ever figured that out?

(link via Big League Stew)

  1. nps6724 - Mar 11, 2011 at 11:05 AM

    Whatever happened to that Gary Maddox guy?

    • 1jarhead - Mar 11, 2011 at 11:22 AM

      The ‘Secretary of Defense’ was one of my favorites when i was younger. He’s a bit of a businessman now, and hosts a BBQ challenge every year.

      “75% of the world is covered by water, and the other 25 % is covered by Garry Maddox” I still love that

      • BC - Mar 11, 2011 at 11:29 AM

        The guy had the lamb chops working back in the day as well:
        http://enrico.blogs.com/.a/6a00d83451af4b69e20120a5c81144970b-pi

  2. hasbeen5 - Mar 11, 2011 at 11:09 AM

    No mention of shower peeing.

  3. BC - Mar 11, 2011 at 11:11 AM

    He had two of the sickest years imaginable, right in the middle of the offensive spike / PED era:
    1994: 16-6, 1.56 ERA, 0.896 WHIP, 10 complete games
    1995: 19-2, 1.63 ERA 0.811 WHIP (yikes), 10 complete games
    Obviously, he was a ballplayer.

  4. banksatdixie - Mar 11, 2011 at 11:14 AM

    $60M-80M?? That can’t be millions of dollars right? In 1984?

    • Craig Calcaterra - Mar 11, 2011 at 11:15 AM

      I think that’s an abbreviation for thousands. Latin, I believe. Two Ms is million. It’s a construction that has fallen in usage over the past couple of decades, I think.

      • apbaguy - Mar 11, 2011 at 11:39 AM

        Craig, that’s correct. We had a discussion in our APBA Google group yesterday about this, in reviewing the Maddux scouting report. The “M” for thousands was replaced by the more familiar “k” during the ’80’s, as part of the ascendancy of IT companies who used that notation. Maddux’s “80M” would be “80k” today.

  5. Jonny 5 - Mar 11, 2011 at 11:29 AM

    He is “Clark Kent”.

Leave Comment

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!

Featured video

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
Top 10 MLB Player Searches
  1. J. Soler (3343)
  2. R. Castillo (2846)
  3. Y. Molina (2639)
  4. A. Dunn (2606)
  5. M. Cabrera (2599)
  1. A. Rizzo (2541)
  2. B. Posey (2320)
  3. J. Ellsbury (2278)
  4. D. Pedroia (2169)
  5. M. Wacha (2085)