Correction: please do not throw batteries at J.D. Drew, Philly fans

Mar 11, 2011, 8:44 AM EDT

J.D. Drew

Pete Abraham of the Boston Globe points us to what is easily my favorite baseball-related newspaper correction in some time. It comes in the wake of a March 5th column by T.J. Furman of the Philadelphia Inquirer:

“In Saturday’s “High & Inside” column, The Inquirer made a regretful attempt at humor in a reference to Boston Red Sox outfielder J.D. Drew’s coming to Philadelphia to play against the Phillies in June. The sentence, “Get your D-cells ready,” should have been edited out of the story. Any reference to throwing batteries at a player is neither funny nor acceptable.”

I’m sure the response from the Philly faithful will be that Furman is a bum and that he was only trying to rouse rabble. But the thing is, even the biggest bums are more or less in touch with the rabble they wish to rouse.  Even if this was completely disingenuous claptrap on Furman’s part, he doesn’t write it if he doesn’t think that people will eat it up.

Which leads me to ask: are there really people in Philly who hate J.D. Drew after all of these years? Many of which have been far more successful for the team than they have been for Drew?  Because if they do still hold a grudge, that’s pretty sad man.

1. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Mar 11, 2011 at 8:51 AM

Hey, Philly fans don’t throw AAA batteries, they throw D-cells. They go all the way. And if that means holding a grudge against a guy for 17 years because of a draft that they weren’t even paying attention to at the time, so be it. I think they still hate Thome for getting himself traded away too

• Utley's Hair - Mar 11, 2011 at 11:58 AM

It was 14 years ago. And somewhat bizarrely, Thome was being cheered last year as he circled the bases after he jacked one last season as the ChiSox visited the Bank. So there’s that.

• xxakshunxx - Mar 12, 2011 at 12:34 AM

^ *Twins

• Utley's Hair - Mar 13, 2011 at 1:10 PM

Aw, crap. I don’t know where the ChiSox came from. I knew he was with the Twinkies. It must’ve been a brain fart. Thanks for the correction.

• purdueman - Mar 15, 2011 at 1:51 PM

When it comes to throwing crap onto the field, Philly fans still have a way to go before they can match the antics of the Chicago Cubs bleacher drunks. Funny thing is though, most Cub fans don’t know the difference between the home team and the visiting team… they just get off on throwing batteries, quarters, bolts, baseballs and anything else that’s not nailed down at players in general because that apparently seems like a lot of fun once your gassed and sitting out too long under a hot sun.

2. bigxrob - Mar 11, 2011 at 8:51 AM

If I remember correctly, prior to that draft, Boras told the Phillies how much money it was going to take to sign Drew, and if you are not willing to pay it, don’t draft him. So what did they do? They drafted him and refused to pay the asking price, thereby never signing him.
    It always seemed to me this was a failure of the orginization, not Drew, regardless if you think he deserved the money he was asking for or not.

• Detroit Michael - Mar 11, 2011 at 9:07 AM

Well, I’m not sure if I would blame the organization for calling Drew’s bluff — not signing for an entire year is a pretty big disincentive — but, yes, I wouldn’t blame Drew rationally either. It wasn’t an anti-Philadelphia stance but rather a hold out to maximize his earnings.

• bigxrob - Mar 11, 2011 at 11:37 AM

I think that is what the confusion is in Philly, they took it personally, when it was really about money.

• enrgy2burn - Mar 15, 2011 at 3:26 PM

as i recall, it was really Boras’ fault but Boras represented Drew and the responsibility falls to him.

put me in the ‘sad’ crowd… i still hate the scumbag (well, both actually – Boras and Drew)!!!

3. dmccarrie - Mar 11, 2011 at 8:52 AM

” Because if they do still hold a grudge, that’s pretty sad man. ”

Ahem…**cough, cough**…. http://tinyurl.com/6faf7g7

• heyblueyoustink - Mar 11, 2011 at 8:59 AM

*Awesome* reply…………

As far as Drew goes….well, as stated above, that was a failure of the organization…….a badly run one at the time……the team was sooooooo bad, Robert Person as your opening day ace anyone??? The folks that threw the batteries were probably Eagles fans on a seven day bender…..they no longer stumble into tickets in an otherwise empty ballpark

With all that being said……while I don’t hate Mr. Drew or wish him any harm, I don’t ever think i’ll be going out of my way to get his autograph or buy him a Glenlivet on the rocks…..

• BC - Mar 11, 2011 at 9:22 AM

Robert Person was an awesome Met.

• heyblueyoustink - Mar 11, 2011 at 9:26 AM

I’ll be honest, the only thing about Person I haven’t put in the mental recycle bin was his 2 HR and a double that was almost a 3rd homerun game…….

• Jeremiah Graves - Mar 11, 2011 at 8:59 AM

*ZING*

• Craig Calcaterra - Mar 11, 2011 at 9:03 AM

Surely you wouldn’t say that a draftee not signing with the Phillies is as significant as a play that could very well have turned the tide in a World Series.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 11, 2011 at 11:05 AM

Craig, at the time, it was not just a draftee not signing with a pitifully bad baseball team. It was the second overall pick rejecting the team, thereby negating a top draft pick for the organization—why the Phightins actually wasted the pick on a guy with Boras as an agent, demanding so high a price is beyond me.

• dmccarrie - Mar 11, 2011 at 12:39 PM

I’m not comparing a ‘draftee’ to a ‘WS Play’…I’m simply reminding you that fans hold onto to things because we’re fans. That’s part of the deal.

Calling it ‘pretty sad man’ is pretty sad man in light of your regurgitation of one of your fandoms J.D. Drew Moments.

4. jeffhink - Mar 11, 2011 at 8:54 AM

I’m 22 years old. I’m pretty sure my generation of Phillies fan only hates the guy because we were told to.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 11, 2011 at 11:45 AM

But you still do, right? :) Good.

5. b7p19 - Mar 11, 2011 at 9:02 AM

Fans are allowed to hate whoever they want. Phillies fans have the right and a good reason to dislike Drew. Now, any knucklehead throwing batteries at a player deserves to get the s$%# kicked out them repeatedly. I always thought Phillies fans were the toughest until San Diego started throwing syringes…makes batteries look like child play.

6. volcom2143 - Mar 11, 2011 at 9:09 AM

Craig your a joke . I love how the media is always trying to hate on the passion of Philly fans . We care . When was that a bad thing ? Also JD Drew is a prick . He is an over paid over rated bum . I will always hate him and we have good reason . Drop it . you don’t live here or understand the situation obviously haha

• Craig Calcaterra - Mar 11, 2011 at 9:13 AM

Thank you for your comment. Often when I talk about Philly fans’ lack of perspective, someone comes in and accuses me of making strawman arguments. Your existence proves that they are not, in fact, straw men. People like you actually exist! Awesome!

• heyblueyoustink - Mar 11, 2011 at 9:17 AM

Take it easy spud…….I’ve lived here all 31 years of my life and most folks I know could give a rat’s a$$ about J.D. Drew……..now go home and beat up your Michael Vick blow up doll if it makes you feel better……..

Sorry Craig, sometimes these rats just find their way out of the sewer around here

• mattjg - Mar 11, 2011 at 9:23 AM

We’re passionate fans. We gotta hammer someone.

• ahealthyscratch - Mar 11, 2011 at 11:02 AM

There is a difference between “passion” and “winging D batteries at a player.”

I’m 25, so I just boo him because it is fun to have that person. As Posnanski refers to it, it is Clemenate for me. I don’t legitimately hate him, but he’s fun for me to root against. It’s irrational to ever take sports seriously enough to blame an organization’s failings on a player, and then attempt to injure him.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 11, 2011 at 11:13 AM

I do live here. I understand the situation. I boo him when he’s introduced and comes to the plate—the first time, for about a second or two, and MUCH less enthusiastically these days. And then I get over it.

And booing Stephen Drew when he comes to town? And Pat Burrell? That’s just idiotic.

It was a decade and a half ago. Get over it.

7. Jonny 5 - Mar 11, 2011 at 9:15 AM

That happened back in 98, I don’t think the 2 fans that were mad at him enough to throw batteries back then are still holding a grudge. But now that it’s in the news, I could see some people deciding to make it happen again. Drew can thank Furman if anything does happen.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 11, 2011 at 11:17 AM

Obviously you didn’t read volcom2143’s comment above.

8. drunkenhooliganism - Mar 11, 2011 at 9:15 AM

I hate that poopstain with all of my being. I truly enjoy every time he tweaks a knee or gets a bad case of sand in his vagina. Hating that turd doesn’t make me “sad” it makes me happy.

After all these years I should accept that he was just a stupid ignorant pawn in Boras’ grander plan, but I can hate him for never visiting Philly during negotiations AND for turning down the biggest contract ever offered to a draftee AND for his naivete.

I’m comfortable with my hate.

9. BC - Mar 11, 2011 at 9:21 AM

Yankees fans threw batteries at Dwight Evans for years. So he just wore a helmet in the field. If the Phillies are still hung up on JD Drew, what, fifteen years after the fact, they need to focus on something else. Like their increasingly decrepit infielders….

• Utley's Hair - Mar 11, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Oh, come on, BC!!!! Give us a break!!!!! It was only 14 years ago.

10. mattjg - Mar 11, 2011 at 9:27 AM

Meh, he and Rolen are still fun to boo, but personally, I’m over it. It would be one thing if he went on to be a superstar, but even if the Phillies had drafted him, he’d be long gone by now or the Phillies would have overpaid for him.

• mattjg - Mar 11, 2011 at 9:33 AM

Correction: obviously meant if the Phillies had signed him after drafting him.

11. dymerrell - Mar 11, 2011 at 9:35 AM

I moved to Philly a few years ago, and the first Phillies game I went to was against the Sawx. I went because I wanted to see Moyer pitch before he retired (I could have waited a couple more years for that, as it turned out), and I was taken aback by the heartfelt booing I heard for Drew. I didn’t understand it, and thought it must have something to with his time on the Braves.

I asked some of the Philly faithful around me why they were booing so hard at Drew, and they actually stopped booing long enough to offer a cogent and heartfelt explanation about a lack of respect for their city and how that has affected them for the last ten years. Then they went back to screaming expletives. Now, that was pre-World Series, so maybe they’ve gotten to the point now where they can look back and laugh?

• Utley's Hair - Mar 11, 2011 at 11:27 AM

There are actually some people here that boo Stephen Drew—you know, JD’s brother?—so, nope.

• b7p19 - Mar 11, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Stephen Drew gets booed because it’s funny when you’re drunk. Lot’s of things are funny when you’re drunk and stupid/embarrassing when you look back the next morning. You can’t blame college kids for getting drunk and making stupid jokes.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 11, 2011 at 12:51 PM

I guess I’m too far removed from college to have an inkling as to how singling out and booing Stephen Drew would be funny, even while drunk.

12. PanchoHerreraFanClub - Mar 11, 2011 at 9:47 AM

If you eat horsemeat with velveeta and onions, you throw D batteries.

• ahealthyscratch - Mar 11, 2011 at 11:03 AM

This at least deserves a “h/t to Old Gator”

• PanchoHerreraFanClub - Mar 11, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Yes, I was just quoting Old Gator on the first part. As to the city of botherly love (personally, I thought that was SF), in the spring of ’69 I was in town with some buddies to watch the Phillies play at the old Shire(?) Park. We ask a local where the action was on Saturday night. We told us to continue in the direction for two blocks until we go to Penn Station. “You catch a train and in 45 minutes you are in New York City and that is where the action is in Philadephia on Saturday night.”

• Utley's Hair - Mar 11, 2011 at 11:42 AM

Drink your a couple Yuenglings with the cheesesteak and pretzel, and you throw a DieHard that you lifted from a car in the parking lot.

• BC - Mar 11, 2011 at 1:19 PM

Aw hell, let’s just cut to the chase and throw grenades instead.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 11, 2011 at 3:25 PM

We’re saving them for when the Gnats come in—take care of apparently sudden Philly enemy No. 1 JDub and Nyjer Morgan at the same time. :P

(And, for some reason, I feel the need to say that was, in fact, a joke.)

• b7p19 - Mar 11, 2011 at 12:29 PM

You mean if you’re from Canada?

• cur68 - Mar 11, 2011 at 10:25 PM

Us Canadians have been at work all day and couldn’t rely to you comment till ow. We had a scathing one all thought up by around 2 PM then, in the heat of battle, have totally forgotten it. So there.

13. volcom2143 - Mar 11, 2011 at 11:16 AM

Dude I love that you responded to my comment . Haha that’s great

14. philbert53 - Mar 11, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Players like Drew get booed in Philly, When Burrell came back the first time he was cheered, same with Aaron Rowand. Players who are seen as giving it their all on the field are some of the most beloved players in Philadelphia. When a player leaves (I’m looking at you JDUB) or doesn’t ever make it there and the public perception is that they were disrespected and that is what brings out the boos. I don’t condone the throwing of batteries but Philadelphia has passionate fans and that comes out at our sporting events. By comparison Philly fans are not killing opposing fans in the parking lot (LA) or tackling kids in opposing teams jerseys (Cleveland).

15. BC - Mar 11, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Watch the Phillies hold a promotion when the Red Sox are in town – Everready Battery Night.
    OK. That was in bad taste. Sorry. My blood sugar must be low.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 11, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Ketel One shortage? Or all this talk of Phightins Phans making you drool over the thought of Yuengling?

• BC - Mar 11, 2011 at 1:21 PM

I tell you, I’m on the verge of driving the 3 or 4 hours that it’ll take me to grab some Yuengling. I can probably make Scranton in about 3 hours from here in Hartford.
        And no, there’s never a shortage of Ketel One in my condo.

• dexterismyhero - Mar 11, 2011 at 4:57 PM

or maybe Dura-Cell Bobbleheads?

16. marshmallowsnake - Mar 11, 2011 at 12:11 PM

I would think the have a right to hold a grudge if it was Albert Pujols…you know, someone with GREAT numbers…but this is the fictional young amateur detective we are talking about here…oh wait…wrong Drew…or is it?

• Utley's Hair - Mar 11, 2011 at 2:32 PM

Hahaha!!!!!! He just called JD Drew a Nancy Boy!!!!

17. professor59 - Mar 11, 2011 at 3:00 PM

I blame Boras way more than Drew, for that disaster. But I’m not rooting for Drew any time soon, either.

And congrats to all the crappy, lazy writers who bring up scattered fan actions up to 50 years old in Philadelphia any time they can’t think of something to write. How many towns regularly have riots after a team wins something? New York? L.A.? Montreal, even? Doesn’t matter. In the article, it will always be Philly.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 11, 2011 at 3:42 PM

Alas, it was a local douchenozzle (a la Heyward) and/or chipwich (a la BC) that dragged it out.

• purdueman - Mar 15, 2011 at 3:53 PM

When referring to the super jerk agent (who clearly sold his soul to Satan right after passing his bar exam), please refer to him correctly… it’s Scott Bor-as_s! That moron is at the very top of my “most despicable people in sports” list.

The first tier on my list has quite a few household names on it after Bor-as_s including murderer OJ Simpson, rapist Kobe Bryant, loud mouthed Tim “Let me tell you all about me” Mc Carver, smarmy Stuart Scott of ESPN (sorry fella, but you’re not nearly as good or “cute” as you fancy yourself to be), Barroid Bonds, the late pompous jerk Red Auerbach and the hoody man (Belinchick the cheat).

The second tier just a notch below includes D-Wade, La Bum James slackers JD Drew and Juan Gonzalez, bald faced liars Roger Clemens, Rafiael Palmeiro and Sammy Sooser and Tom Brady.

18. smokehouse56 - Mar 11, 2011 at 4:23 PM

If you’re not from Philly you will not understand. I too can’t even stand to look at his printed name. He stuck his middle finger to the entire city when we were begging to have a competitive team. Same with Rolen. Both would never admit their bad behavior. Both would be stars on this current team, play before sell outs all season long and play for winners, big time. Both chose otherwise. I hate them for that. Funny how thing go. It ends up they were not needed. Drew has now played on three different team while Rolen has played on 5 teams. Both are baseball mercenaries, play only for the money. Rolen could have become another Mike Schmidt and be HOF bound. Good luck on that. Drew, he’s just plan scum.

• marshmallowsnake - Mar 11, 2011 at 4:36 PM

Right, but can’t you laugh at how his career has gone? I mean, he has not been the second coming of Babe Ruth or anything.

19. marinersnate - Mar 11, 2011 at 4:48 PM

I won’t even pretend to understand why this stuff lingers on for so many years. But it does. And not just in Philly.

At Dodger stadium they still boo Beltre every time he comes to town (which, like Drew, isn’t very often because he plays in the other league). That was how many years ago?

At Safeco Field everyone still jumps all over A-Rod every time he comes to the plate. He left how many years ago?

We don’t use D-cells though. We consider throwing anything more destructive than an Ichiroll to be “un-sportsman” like. Also, if you have ever mistakenly purchased an Ichiroll you would understand why we throw them.

20. schmedley69 - Mar 11, 2011 at 5:45 PM

I still dislike J.D. Drew after all of these years. The Phillies share a lions share of the blame for drafting him in the first place, but Boras/Drew really pushed the envelope during those negotiations. At one point Drew’s parents refused to accept a FedEx package containing the Phillies offer, and Boras tried to have Drew declared a free agent on the grounds that the Phillies failed to tender a contract offer by the required deadline. Just a couple of weasels. Neither Boras or Drew has done anything since then to redeem themselves in my eyes, so the grudge still stands. I also still hold a grudge against my grade school bully.

21. macjacmccoy - Mar 11, 2011 at 8:29 PM

I think the comment was funny. Doesnt bother the fact that they had to make a correction is more annoying that what he said. I think throwing batteries was funny to for the fact that was so dumb to give a bunch of fans batteries who were pissed.

22. kandh2004 - Mar 12, 2011 at 3:20 PM

Look i hated Drew and booed him too but I also hated Mitch Williams for ’93 its just part of being a fan that when you put everything into a team and someone screws that team your gonna boo them. But I will be honest the World Series title has a funny way of making you not care about stuff that happened in ’93 or ’98

• purdueman - Mar 15, 2011 at 1:48 PM

I know exactly what you mean! White Sox fans had to endure the last two years of setup man Scott Line-stink screwing up their team. Fortunately the White Sox found a sucker in Atlanta to take this bum off their hands last offseason.

23. purdueman - Mar 15, 2011 at 1:46 PM

JD Drew and former Indian/Ranger/Tiger OF’er Juan Gonzalez are co-MVP’s on my all time “All-Slackers All The Time” League. Nobody else is even remotely in their league! JD is the only guy that I know of who can milk 15 days of pay while sitting on the DL with a hang nail on his glove hand. Juan’s the only guy who I can think of who could milk 15 days of pay on the DL due to “general fatigue and tiredness”, usually brought on the morning after eating a big Mexican dinner.

24. smokehouse56 - Mar 15, 2011 at 2:17 PM

purdueman, ROTFLMAO

25. bobwsc - Mar 17, 2011 at 3:20 PM

Red Sox fans hate him too

All the trade deadline news to know