Mar 11, 2011, 4:35 PM EST
This morning I said that, having been booted out of the Rangers ownership chair he fought so hard to claim, Chuck Greenberg will never get the last year and a half of his life back. Bob Nightengale puts this in perspective, however:
It may have been tough for Rangers CEO Chuck Greenberg to step down,but will leave with $20 million to $25 million profit, easing pain
So he’s got that going for him. Which is nice. And to be honest, yeah, I think I’d take a year and a half of ugly litigation if there were two and a half units waiting for me on the other side.
Oh, “what’s a unit” you ask? I had a client tell me once that Texas oil men of the 1970s boom years referred to $10 million as “a unit.” And the idea was that, in those circles, you weren’t really rich until “you made your first unit.” Those without a unit need not apply to the boy’s club. Ahem.
I’ve never had corroboration of this — the guy could have been putting me on — but I’ve passed along that bit of trivia at enough cocktail parties that even if it isn’t true, I’m hoping that it one day enters into the realm of lesser slang.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 38
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 154
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (156)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)