Mar 11, 2011, 4:35 PM EDT
This morning I said that, having been booted out of the Rangers ownership chair he fought so hard to claim, Chuck Greenberg will never get the last year and a half of his life back. Bob Nightengale puts this in perspective, however:
It may have been tough for Rangers CEO Chuck Greenberg to step down,but will leave with $20 million to $25 million profit, easing pain
So he’s got that going for him. Which is nice. And to be honest, yeah, I think I’d take a year and a half of ugly litigation if there were two and a half units waiting for me on the other side.
Oh, “what’s a unit” you ask? I had a client tell me once that Texas oil men of the 1970s boom years referred to $10 million as “a unit.” And the idea was that, in those circles, you weren’t really rich until “you made your first unit.” Those without a unit need not apply to the boy’s club. Ahem.
I’ve never had corroboration of this — the guy could have been putting me on — but I’ve passed along that bit of trivia at enough cocktail parties that even if it isn’t true, I’m hoping that it one day enters into the realm of lesser slang.
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 0
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 17
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 78
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)