Mar 11, 2011, 3:59 PM EST
You know, I’m beginning to think that you can’t necessarily take someone’s word for it when they say a player is in the best shape of his life.
“I’m getting Miguel Cabrera into baseball shape, and that’s my job as field manager,” Leyland said. “He can be either too light, or too heavy, and the secret is to get him at a perfect place.
“He’s a big man who needs weight, but not excess weight. He needs weight that will maintain his strength but not weight that makes him sluggish.”
Asked if Cabrera was in the process of shedding pounds, Leyland answered:
“That would be safe to say.”
Oh, and Leyland is not pleased with reporters asking him questions about Cabrera, saying when asked about Cabrera that, he’s “tired of people coming in here looking for (stuff).” Except those parenthesis indicate that he didn’t say “stuff.”
And I agree wholeheartedly with Leyland. I mean, we have seen MVP-caliber first basemen abuse alcohol, drive drunk, threaten to burn down bars and ask police officers to kill them so many times at this point that it’s become a dog-bites-man kind of thing.
Nothing to see here reporters, move along!
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)