Mar 11, 2011, 3:59 PM EDT
You know, I’m beginning to think that you can’t necessarily take someone’s word for it when they say a player is in the best shape of his life.
“I’m getting Miguel Cabrera into baseball shape, and that’s my job as field manager,” Leyland said. “He can be either too light, or too heavy, and the secret is to get him at a perfect place.
“He’s a big man who needs weight, but not excess weight. He needs weight that will maintain his strength but not weight that makes him sluggish.”
Asked if Cabrera was in the process of shedding pounds, Leyland answered:
“That would be safe to say.”
Oh, and Leyland is not pleased with reporters asking him questions about Cabrera, saying when asked about Cabrera that, he’s “tired of people coming in here looking for (stuff).” Except those parenthesis indicate that he didn’t say “stuff.”
And I agree wholeheartedly with Leyland. I mean, we have seen MVP-caliber first basemen abuse alcohol, drive drunk, threaten to burn down bars and ask police officers to kill them so many times at this point that it’s become a dog-bites-man kind of thing.
Nothing to see here reporters, move along!
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (248)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (156)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)