Mar 11, 2011, 3:59 PM EDT
You know, I’m beginning to think that you can’t necessarily take someone’s word for it when they say a player is in the best shape of his life.
“I’m getting Miguel Cabrera into baseball shape, and that’s my job as field manager,” Leyland said. “He can be either too light, or too heavy, and the secret is to get him at a perfect place.
“He’s a big man who needs weight, but not excess weight. He needs weight that will maintain his strength but not weight that makes him sluggish.”
Asked if Cabrera was in the process of shedding pounds, Leyland answered:
“That would be safe to say.”
Oh, and Leyland is not pleased with reporters asking him questions about Cabrera, saying when asked about Cabrera that, he’s “tired of people coming in here looking for (stuff).” Except those parenthesis indicate that he didn’t say “stuff.”
And I agree wholeheartedly with Leyland. I mean, we have seen MVP-caliber first basemen abuse alcohol, drive drunk, threaten to burn down bars and ask police officers to kill them so many times at this point that it’s become a dog-bites-man kind of thing.
Nothing to see here reporters, move along!
- Breaking: The Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 0
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 59
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 104
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 74
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 75
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 74
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)