Mar 11, 2011, 7:00 PM EDT
Paulino, who signed a one-year, $1.3 million contract with the Mets over the winter, is expected to report to camp tomorrow.
The 29-year-old backstop encountered difficulties obtaining his work visa as a result of his 50-game suspension for PEDs last August. He’ll have to serve the remaining eight games on the suspension once the regular season begins, but Mets manager Terry Collins plans to keep him busy until then.
“We’re going to push the envelope a little bit here in the next couple of weeks to try to do as much as we can to get him as ready as possible, and then use that extra week to get him playing time,” Collins said. “The hardest part is the minor-league season doesn’t start until the [April] 7. He can still go get a couple of games in before he does report [to the majors]. We’ll make use of the minor league side as best we can.”
Paulino batted .259/.311/.354 with four homers and 37 RBI over 344 plate appearances before his suspension last season. He is expected to serve as the backup catcher to Josh Thole this season.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 146
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 20
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 51
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 55
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (163)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)