Thankfully for Nationals fans, F.P. Santangelo isn’t Rob Dibble

Mar 11, 2011, 1:45 PM EDT

fp santangelo

Rob Dibble was fired as the Nationals’ television analyst following comments he made about Stephen Strasburg, but before that he’d more than earned the firing with various other “controversial” statements and, most importantly, awful announcing.

Included among Dibble’s many faults as an announcer was that he referred to “we” and “us” while openly cheering for the Nationals. It’s one thing to be a homer, as many local announcers are, but it’s another thing to be a grunting cheerleader who doesn’t even pretend to have any sort of objectivity.

All of which is why Nationals fans should be pleased to hear how much different the team’s new television announcer, F.P. Santangelo, plans to be in the broadcast booth. Here’s his response when Kristen Hudak of MASNSports.com asked “when is it OK to use ‘us’ or ‘we’ while broadcasting?”:

It’s never appropriate. I’m not wearing a uniform, so it’s not we. It’s absolutely against everything I’ve been taught as a broadcaster to ever say “we” because I’m sitting up here with makeup on and a coat and a tie. So it’s the Nationals and it will always be the Nationals on every broadcast I do. I was taught by some of the best announcers in baseball–Jon Miller, Duane Kuiper, Mike Krukow and Dave Flemming, the broadcast crew for the Giants. One of the first things I learned was that you say “we” when you’re wearing a uniform. I’m not wearing a uniform anymore so it will never be “we.”

Santangelo discussed a whole bunch of other stuff in his lengthy interview with Hudak. I haven’t heard him call a game yet, but I already like him more than Dibble.

1. garlicfriesandbaseball - Mar 11, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Santangelo is a class act and will be missed in San Francisco. He was one of my favorites and I was sad to see him leave, but happy for the Nationals, who need all the help they can get! Good luck to both of them this year!

2. echolmberg - Mar 11, 2011 at 2:17 PM

Yeah not so sure. Dibble certainly was horrible, made worse because he replaced the best color guys in the game, Don Sutton. However, there were plenty of Nats games where the ONLY interesting thing was listening to hear what came out of Dibble’s mouth. So I’ll certainly miss Dibble.

3. Dug - Mar 11, 2011 at 2:59 PM

Aaron, You might want to drop T.J. Simers of the LATimes a note and ask him what he thinks about good ‘ol F.P.

4. feartherallythong - Mar 11, 2011 at 3:04 PM

F.P. is a solid guy. Easy to listen to. He did a lot of subbing on KNBR, and finally got his own show in the 7-10 pm slot – just in time to get snapped up by the Nats.

Not flashy, not exciting, but solid guy. The Nats fans will be happy, I think.

5. apbaguy - Mar 11, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Good to see the Giants fans posting solid for FP. I used to catch him on cable in the post-game shows. I enjoyed his enthusiasm, and also his observations. He’ll be a big plus for the Nats. Now my one concern is that the Nats owners are not known for always using their best judgement (pay the rent, yet?) so hopefully they aren’t too influenced by their rival up the BW Parkway, who famously ran Jon Miller off years ago. FP claims Miller as one of his mentors, so we’ll see how far the Lerner’s are willing to go with FP.

6. davem23 - Mar 11, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Well I did hear him call a game and well, I don’t get the hipe. A couple of times Carpenter directed a question his way and it was just dead air. Another he said, “whatever I just said, I’ll say it again”, Huh. I guess this is what you get with a team that has lost almost 300 games in 3 years.

I hated Dibble when he replaced Don Sutton, but his politically incorrectness (if that’s a word) was refreshing in this city.

Tonight he gets his second chance at making a first impression, as Livo takes the mound v. the Astro’s 6:05 on MASN.

7. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Mar 11, 2011 at 4:57 PM

Hawk is allowed to use “us” and “we” and no one else. Period. Love it or hate it. Put that bitch on the mothaf@ckin’ board.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (4055)